Thread: Recycling Shotgun Shells?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Recycling Shotgun Shells?

When we hunt, we always pick up our spent shotgun shells and wads. These then get thrown in the garbage. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could take them to a depot to be recycled?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I would imagine it isnt worth the effort to seperate the metal and plastic

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Guys pay .05 -.08 cents per hull for reloading.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

At the gun club I used to go to, skeet and trap shells were left on the table for anyone to take and use to reload.
    I used a MEC900G for many years.

If you google "recycling shot gun shells " you'll see many ideas, even making a Christmas wreath out of them.

https://recyclenation.com/2010/10/re...hotgun-shells/
    Last edited by Sharon; October 30th, 2017 at 08:57 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Many recycle places won't take brass and I would suspect shotshells because of the primers. Even though the primers are spent it just goes to show the paranoia by people not in the know.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    At the gun club I used to go to, skeet and trap shells were left on the table for anyone to take and use to reload.
    I used a MEC900G for many years.

If you google "recycling shot gun shells " you'll see many ideas, even making a Christmas wreath out of them.

I really wish 20 gauge shells came in other colours.
    Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening.

Dorothy Sarnoff

Member for Life

User Info Menu

When we were kids my uncle came up with a scheme to recycle the brass from the shotgun casings at the Oshawa Gun Club. We just had to gather them up and transport them about a mile down the Courtice Road to his house where he would help us dry and burn them. We were about 8-10 years old and didn't realize that this was a summer make work project for us until numerous fires when we realized that even the high brass imperials were only brass plated , leaving a rusty pile of steel hulls beside his garage. Meanwhile we had carried many pounds of wet soggy cardboard hulls home from the Skeet Club while keeping us out of trouble......

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

He should have sent down to the rifle range, lots of brass!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Back then the rifle range was the gravel pit and a pickup tailgate.....(early 1950's)