Thread: Silly question about oil change

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Silly question about oil change

Hi folks. I will be servicing my 15HP Yamaha outboard and doing the oil change, gear lube and winterization.

Iíve done this before minus the oil as Iíve always had 2 stroke motors. The book recommends 1.6 L of oil which I have and the oil filter (yamalube kit).

Do I fill the filter up before screwing it back on ? And Iím assuming that would count towards my 1.6 L capacity. Or will the filter pump do the work for me and dump it in the filter quick enough upon start up ?

Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

don't know the real answer to that, but I would fill the filter and at least let it soak in to the element before replacing, then top up accordingly

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Unless the filter has the open side up when installing, you'll make a nice mess. Lube rubber ring on new filter with a dab of oil and install it. Add your 1.6 litres of oil and give it a quick run with the muffs on the water intake.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Unless the filter has the open side up when installing, you'll make a nice mess. Lube rubber ring on new filter with a dab of oil and install it. Add your 1.6 litres of oil and give it a quick run with the muffs on the water intake.
    Perfect. Will do. Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Put the filter in dry and add your 1.6L.....check the dip stick and top up as necessary

Apprentice

User Info Menu

same as a car.
    no right answer that I am aware of.
    personally I fill up the filter, and then lubricate the rubber ring and then spin it on. by the time I get to putting it on, the oil has soaked into the filter element and is no longer to the top of the filter. spin er on quick and it is not likely to leak more than a dribble.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

On my 25 Yammie, I lube the threads and seal and install. Oil pump will fill the filter in seconds after start up. Same procedure for my ATV and my other vehicles. No signs of increased wear as a result.
    Learn all you can about nature. What we don't understand, we fear and what we fear, we destroy.
    Teach a young person to hunt and fish, after all, someone taught you.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I fill the filter with oil let it sit for about 15 minutes the filter will actually absorb it, then I put the filter on.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."óPremier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 Ė March 29, 2013)