Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Fishing Trips 2018

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Ice Fishing Trips 2018

Where is everyone going for ice fishing trips this year?

Do you guys prefer resort style or ice bungalows?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I'd like to give Nipp another try. We have done both resort(cottage) and on ice bungalows. If you do the resort method you can be limited to fishing time, depends when the Op takes you out and brings you back. On the other hand it's sure nice to have a warm bed, hot shower and a bit of extra room to lounge. On ice huts can be crowded, we rented a 6 man once, even with 5 guys and the extra bunk to store stuff, it was a bit annoying. Top bunks you roast, bottom bunks can be frigid unless you bring an arctic sleeping bag. Maybe you have to try both and then choose. I know when we go back it will be with Bear Creek, excellent run place.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

tried quinte last year got skunked...the "guide" kept my money for second day even tho we left after the first due to ZERO action...not even perch!

Will be doing my own trips from now on unless its overnighter in some bunks on nipp. or simcoe.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Wrastler View Post
    tried quinte last year got skunked...the "guide" kept my money for second day even tho we left after the first due to ZERO action...not even perch!

Will be doing my own trips from now on unless its overnighter in some bunks on nipp. or simcoe.
    I was wondering how you made out last year on Quinte . It was a real tough bite out there last year, I marked a lot of big fish , but didn't get any takers.
    To answer the op , I have never rented a hut or gone very far for ice fishing and I doubt I will get a chance this year again. I only live 45 minutes from BOQ and can be on rice lake in 3 minutes so I don't have to go far for world class fishing ( spoiled really, lol ) . I will hopefully get out to the camp around Bancroft for some trout fishing this year.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FishinScuba View Post
    I was wondering how you made out last year on Quinte . It was a real tough bite out there last year, I marked a lot of big fish , but didn't get any takers.
    To answer the op , I have never rented a hut or gone very far for ice fishing and I doubt I will get a chance this year again. I only live 45 minutes from BOQ and can be on rice lake in 3 minutes so I don't have to go far for world class fishing ( spoiled really, lol ) . I will hopefully get out to the camp around Bancroft for some trout fishing this year.
    I know it was allegedly a tough year for walleye on quinte last year but when you pay for guiding service and get setup in somebodys backyard 100 yards off shore and nobody is catching anything at all not even perch just seems "fishy"....Definately wont be back for round 2 whether it was the guides fault or not. Somebody is definately capitalizing on the market of "quinte ice fishing" or so it seems.

Only found out once we travelled 7 hours that the "fish arent biting very well lately" after reporting for weeks that perch was great and walleye was tough but happening....I guess just not happening for us or the other 20 people who paid to sit on the ice for 8hrs...we were banking on perch as a back up plan- guide said perch during the day but no perch to be had in 8hrs on the ice.

So just a word of caution if your paying for a guide service make sure you find out alot of details on the setup with pictures and that your not just fishing in someones back yard. The description did not match the experience IMO and I guess I should have researched better options. Just because there are huts on the ice and money being handed over for rentals and minnows does not garuntee even a single fish.

I guess I should have been more firm on getting all the money back...oh well will not be back to quinte for some time, besides caught my PB walleye in Erie this year while trolling for steel.
    Last edited by Deer Wrastler; November 6th, 2017 at 03:39 AM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

We do a few trips to Lake Nipissing every year! One a Resort Trip for Superbowl Weekend and we stay at Sunset Cove Lodge in the South Bay, really nice place. We also do a weekend in a on ice bungalow.

The fishing has been sub par the past few seasons, but the drinks are always cold and the company always great!

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I usually hit the Temagami area at least once if not twice during the winter.
    I stay with friends in the town.
    Just got back from there last week form an ATV'ing trip.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Deer Wrastler, can you share the guide service you used so that others don't get the same bad experience. (I understand if you don't want to)
    Our group are planning another trip to Quinte this year but we do not use a guide
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Id prefer not to say..some hints stated in the details...will be doing a simcoe trip unguided hoping for redemption! Got the walleye nailed down in spring and summer so winter fishing is going to be mostly perch...cant get enough of those tasty fillets

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I'm with Deer Wrastler, we get all the walleye we can catch down here starting in April, I've had enough of them by June but still chase them in Erie untill bass season starts and start up again jigging the DR and casting shallow for them at night in the fall. spring ( march, April ) fall ( Oct, Nov ) and winter is all about the perch, Simcoe back to back weekends come first ice. After Simcoe trips and we get ice down here it's all about the gills and the odd pike fish in the marinas around town.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast