Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinding it out - Meat grinder reviews

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Grinding it out - Meat grinder reviews

In the Nov-Dec 2017 issue of Ontario OUT of DOORS Food Editor Andrew Rochon puts four top-selling meat grinders to the test. Tell us if you have a favourite meat grinder you use, feel free to share any helpful tips, or thoughts on Andrew's reviews.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I picked one up from princess auto a few years back on sale for like $50.... does a okay job grinding up 10-20 lbs of meat....
    Meat grinders work best when the meat is slightly frozen.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I have the Kitchen Aid attachment and have been using that for many years (30 years). It works good for the 1 deer a year I usually harvest and the occasional Bear. However you do need to sharpen the cutters once in a while and I find if you use the coarse or "large hole" die to first grind the meat and then use the "small holed" die to regrind it goes through the meat a lot faster with minimal bogging down of the motor. I do like the idea of the more powerful units though with two additional tags in the family, I just might do that.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Grinders fall into that category you get what you pay for...if you aren't paying a lot for one your getting one that has nylon gears that will strip if you over load it. Andrew's review cover some of the more expensive models so they work great.

Not to say the cheaper ones you buy aren't any good, I had a $50 one from eBay that lasted yrs. I was pushing some meat that was a bit to frozen thru it and it was working too hard and stripped the gears. The average guy doing up one or two deer a year (maybe 100 lbs of ground meat) and taking it easy would have no problems with the lower priced lines.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Similar to Droptine, I've got the Kitchen Aid attachment and have been using it almost 20 years. Annually it will process 30-50# of ground venison (I harvest several deer annually) and has been doing so without a hitch (or sharpening) in all that time. However, my kids and I spend ALOT of time deboning & butchering the venison with *zero* silverskin remaining. Meat which comes out of the fine die is 100% red with no white chunks in it. I believe that silverskin is a big contributor to blade & die wear.

Second the opinion on slightly frozen leading to better results. Once I see ice crystals forming on the top layer of meat (in the Pyrex glass casserole pan covered by saran wrap), it's ready to grind!

Unless you process over 100# annually, you will never regret getting a high quality Kitchen Aid mixer and buying the grinder attachment.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have always been the guy with the old Porkert manual grinder, this year I got sick of that idea so I drilled it to accept a standard hex bit. It's was a fair amount of work for my drill but it worked better than any electric grinder I have tried.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

This year I purchased a STX Turboforce 11 4000 with the Foot Pedal. Ground about 60Lbs Moose Meat with some of the silver skin on and no issues. was impressed with the performance.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I second the kitchen aid attachment for about 15 years now,usualy only do one deer a year,but one year had a bunch of geese and 4 deer over the season,had a couple hundred pounds over a 2 month period and it worked flawlessly,only had to clean the silver skin off the cutter every 10lbs or so of deer meat.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

For meat grinder is important to sharpen the blade and the plate ...

Quote Originally Posted by Emily-OODMag View Post
    In the Nov-Dec 2017 issue of Ontario OUT of DOORS Food Editor Andrew Rochon puts four top-selling meat grinders to the test. Tell us if you have a favourite meat grinder you use, feel free to share any helpful tips, or thoughts on Andrew's reviews.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I had the same one, it worked but it was cheap. I did a whole whack of Goose Sausages and then took it back and got my money back.
    I found the meat to properly grind had to be very cold and stiff

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    I picked one up from princess auto a few years back on sale for like $50.... does a okay job grinding up 10-20 lbs of meat....
    Meat grinders work best when the meat is slightly frozen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast