Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Hunting Camp?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Buying a Hunting Camp?

This is a 5-10 year goal so it's a long ways off. But a lot of hunting camps i see are between 50 and 100 acres.

My question is: Is 100 acres enough? How many deer/moose/bear are gonna live in that small of an area? Yes animals would roam through of course but to me that seems small. But i don't know much about animal habitat within 100 acre span of forest.

Most of these camps are probably 90% forest, and it's been logged within 10 years.

Anyone here spent much time at hunting camps?
    How big is it?
    How likely are you to fill the tag you're after.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

don't have a crazy amount of experience but all the hunt camps i know of have about that much land, but are then surrounded by hundreds more of crown, if not thousands. Lots of variables to consider if you're confined to just that 100. With the appropriate bedding cover, water and food 100 acres could be plenty big enough for some deer to hang out in. if at all possible, i'd walk the area and look for sign, that will definitely tell you.
    A Hunt Based Only On Trophies Taken Falls Far Short Of What The Ultimate Goal Should Be - Fred Bear

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My grandpa had 100 acres he had deer bear and moose on the property. Everything comes down to the property food ,water, cover and land layout all have to be proper . You have all that you will have the game pass through on a regular basis.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

We have 945 acres of land with 500 feet of lake front for sale in the Haliburtons if you're interested ..... hunted for 45 years with great success but now we're all too old to hunt .... no buildings on property but can easily rent nice cottage in the area. Moose, deer, elk turkey bear, grouse in area 57.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I saw that listed. Too bad when a long established gang breaks up.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

If you have 100acres and manage correctly.ie foodplots,plant shrubs and trees that will attract wildlife etc.you will pull game in from miles around.
    Check out who the neighbours are,if it is crown then u have easily doubled the huntable acreage.If the property is surrounded by private property,then I would approach the neighbours with the intention of securing the hunting rights and in that way again,increase your huntable acreage.In short,don't let it scare you that you only have 100 acres.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I have two properties.
    A 100 ac parcel and a 200 ac parcel 15 minutes away.
    On the 100- we Put in 4 food plots with an excavator; hinge cut; bait etc.
    Seems like all great property management techniques.
    I doubt that we have increased the carrying capacity on the land.
    Lots of activity; but so hard to compete with Mother Nature and the topography just round the corner.
    So many areas with perfect swamps; hillsides for warming etc.

I think you can attract more wildlife into your area "in season" depending upon your food plot mixes.
    But overall- its been fun labour vs fruitful.
    We are in WMU 49; bare shield, hardwood mix, with very little ag in our area.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by knotsobrite View Post
    We have 945 acres of land with 500 feet of lake front for sale in the Haliburtons if you're interested ..... hunted for 45 years with great success but now we're all too old to hunt .... no buildings on property but can easily rent nice cottage in the area. Moose, deer, elk turkey bear, grouse in area 57.
    Where is it and how much is it listed for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything that you know can be taught... Take the time, make the effort and share your knowledge... Take someone fishing!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That's a pretty sweet deal.good luck with the sale shouldn't take too long to sell.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast