Thread: Scope Markings

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Scope Markings

I was wondering if anybody could give me an idea of how far the ballistics on a scope are for, do I sight in with the crosshairs at 50 yards and then assume the next mark down will be for a 100, I will go check for myself but am just wondering what everybody else has found, it's a new never fired gun and I am just looking for a starting point.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It is really specific to your setup, scope model, powder charge, weight of bullet, etc. I usually set the cross hairs at 100 yards and BDC as per a ballistics calculator. You must be very good at estimating the distance the target is at and have a great memory on recalling what each set point is based on calculations and field testing. Not an easy thing to do in the heat of the moment. Fortunately, most game is shot at under 100 yards in Ontario so with the cross hairs on the vitals of a deer you are usually good for a bang / flop.

Here is one example of a calculator.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...ton/index.page

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I put the cross hair at 200yrds as my zero that way i m good from 25 to 200yrds also u canu the balstic calculater as stated above i have seen guys laminated the info and put it on there stock

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

You need to specify if it is a shotgun or rifle.
    If rifle,pretty much (caliber and ammo can make some slight impact)yet if you sight it in + 1-2 " high at 100 yards, then your good to go for a deer from 0-200 yards just by placing the cross hair on the vitals (boiler room).

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    You need to specify if it is a shotgun or rifle.
    If rifle,pretty much (caliber and ammo can make some slight impact)yet if you sight it in + 1-2 " high at 100 yards, then your good to go for a deer from 0-200 yards just by placing the cross hair on the vitals (boiler room).
    This is a massive generalization, a 44 Mag vs a 300 Win Mag, not even close to the same trajectory.

The OP has not given us even close to enough information to help him out but assuming based on this being a Muzzle Loader section I would go with a 50 cal muzzle loader with a 100gr charge, the scope is probably the kit bushnell so here is a link to their BDC info. All of this needs to be verified by actually shooting and not just assuming.

http://bushnell.com/getmedia/8113c70...o.pdf?ext=.pdf

Here is another link to the general Bushnell DOA reticle information.

http://bushnell.com/getmedia/f578c00...b.pdf?ext=.pdf

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Sorry, it is a Traditions Vortek Strikerfire 50cal, shooting 245 grain slug with a 100 grains of powder, the scope is a Weaver, I was just wondering what most people sight in the crosshairs at, I was thinking 50 but 100 is good also, then what are the lower crosshairs +50 yards, I am going to try it out for myself but I just thought that I could find out others have already.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Fox, the charts show pretty much what I need to know, it looks as though it calls for 150 grains of powder though, thanks for now

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ali88 View Post
    Fox, the charts show pretty much what I need to know, it looks as though it calls for 150 grains of powder though, thanks for now
    Please don't use 3 (50gr) pellets unless your shooting a Remington Ultimate

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ali88 View Post
    Your best bet is to take your 100gr load and sight in where you want to sight in, then shoot the gun at longer ranges to know where it hits, the BDC scopes are a guideline that does not take very many factors into account, way too many variables.

As for the 100gr vs 150gr, your gun may claim to be safe with 150gr but often the 150gr loads are just a waste of powder, BP and its substitutions take a while to burn and a lot of the powder will leave the barrel unburnt, plus most accurate loads from what I have been told use loads of 100gr and under.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Your best bet is to take your 100gr load and sight in where you want to sight in, then shoot the gun at longer ranges to know where it hits, the BDC scopes are a guideline that does not take very many factors into account, way too many variables.

As for the 100gr vs 150gr, your gun may claim to be safe with 150gr but often the 150gr loads are just a waste of powder, BP and its substitutions take a while to burn and a lot of the powder will leave the barrel unburnt, plus most accurate loads from what I have been told use loads of 100gr and under.
    Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk