Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 20 ga for deer should be banned

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dutchhunter View Post
    Maybe they should Institute a Marksmanship test before allowing people to hunt.we try and get everyone out to shoot there gun a week before the hunt
    After many years of being just happy to be out, I have now implemented this rule ( as I'm the one who usually organizes the hunts).

If you haven't been on a gun since last season, you will burn through at least 2 boxes of shells breaking clays, and at least 1 box of rifle ammo, on paper, shooting offhand, or I will not hunt with you. Period.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Charlie View Post
    I hunted in CFB Borden one year. The week before the hunt, ALL hunters were required to pass a 50-yard shooting test. It is a good idea. IIRC, all archers there have to pass a shooting test as well.
    Sure thing, must pass archery before you can fling darts in the woods.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Going by the findings of the OP, I would say 30-06 isn't enough gun for deer after seeing a couple shots inside 75 yards with poor penetration where the deer didn't drop. Both shots were perfectly broadside with 180 grain corelokt's and neither made it out the far side of the animal. After seeing that, switched up to better quality bullets @ 150 grain and haven't had an issue since. majority of shots have been inside of 100 yards and are bang...flop!

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
    Going by the findings of the OP, I would say 30-06 isn't enough gun for deer after seeing a couple shots inside 75 yards with poor penetration where the deer didn't drop. Both shots were perfectly broadside with 180 grain corelokt's and neither made it out the far side of the animal. After seeing that, switched up to better quality bullets @ 150 grain and haven't had an issue since. majority of shots have been inside of 100 yards and are bang...flop!
    ...anyone going to weigh in on the common denominator being Remington ammo?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebulldog View Post
    For years, I have been loading my own using Remington bullets in 7 mm and 30 cal. both core lokt designs, moose and deer and antelope and one big horn sheep , have all dropped very dead from these bullets .

I have also loaded these bullets in 30 cal. for a friend on mine, and he has had the same results as I have , very dead deer moose ,antelope, caribou and bighorn sheep.
    Last edited by jaycee; November 23rd, 2017 at 11:46 AM.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    For years, I have been loading my own using Remington bullets in 7 mm and 30 cal. both core lokt designs, moose and deer and antelope and one big horn sheep , have all dropped very dead from these bullets .

I have also loaded these bullets in 30 cal. for a friend on mine, and he has had the same results as I have , very dead deer moose ,antelope, caribou and bighorn sheep.
    Using the projectile, and working up loads differs far greatly than a factory produced round using the same projectile.

Never having been a fan of Remington ammo, just noticed that thus far, two posters have referenced their factory made products. Although the Op definitely could be argued that it was poor marksmanship....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Using the projectile, and working up loads differs far greatly than a factory produced round using the same projectile.

Never having been a fan of Remington ammo, just noticed that thus far, two posters have referenced their factory made products. Although the Op definitely could be argued that it was poor marksmanship....
    Poor marksmanship is the bane of a lot of hunters !

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I am skeptical as to how the polymer tips on any brand of new sabot actually may hinder the ability of the sabot from properly expanding to the detriment of the terminal performance. Just my $.02

I've used exclusively Remington Copper Solids - 12ga 3" & never had a clean pass through - but the recovered sabots were absolutely text book 100% retained weight petal expansion. If I still had my 12ga slug gun they would be my go to sabot.

For my 20ga smooth bore - I've used the Federal Tru-ball rifled slugs in 3" with equally impressive results, however I jumped to the Remmington Hi-Velocity sluggers this season to gain another 100 yds/sec mv. Alas, didn't fire a single shot durring this years controlled hunt.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

We have seen swings of 100 fps on slug ammo in same gun.

Rifle ammo we had one box that was supposed to be 2700 fps and many shells chronied at 2400fps....

I only hunt with my own shells for the most part. No surprises

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    We have seen swings of 100 fps on slug ammo in same gun.

Rifle ammo we had one box that was supposed to be 2700 fps and many shells chronied at 2400fps....

I only hunt with my own shells for the most part. No surprises
    The above only proves that each rifle /shotgun is an " Island unto itself " you have to find out which ammo, brand and type your particular gun likes and shots the best.