Thread: PR Bullet Smokeless Conversion Kit

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default PR Bullet Smokeless Conversion Kit

For anyone that may be interested in smokeless muzzleloading, PR Bullet in Manitoba is offering a conversion kit that will allow most Savage center fire rifles to be changed over to a smokeless, and back to center fire again.

http://www.prbullet.com/savage215.htm
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Interesting and relatively inexpensive. I had one built by him on a 700 action. I sold the gun ultimately because it was really no better than the savage - 200 yard gun. As with the savage the sabots are the fail point.

I will say this though, I'd like a crack at another one of his builds knowing what I know now....

Plenty of guys in the states have no issues to 300 yards with sabot builds - comes down to powder choices more than anything.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I have been shooting a Savage smokeless 50 cal, model 10ML for years. It is an amazing rifle. I was fortunate to take 2 bull moose (and a number of deer) with it. One moose was quartering away at 130 yards and the other was broadside at 160 yards. Both animals had complete pass through.

The only downside to them is they are just like reloading in that you must be very careful in your powder measurements and loading. Black powder is a little more tolerant to errors, whereas smokeless the results are catastrophic. I would never go back to black powder.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Muskyhunter View Post
    I have been shooting a Savage smokeless 50 cal, model 10ML for years. It is an amazing rifle. I was fortunate to take 2 bull moose (and a number of deer) with it. One moose was quartering away at 130 yards and the other was broadside at 160 yards. Both animals had complete pass through.

The only downside to them is they are just like reloading in that you must be very careful in your powder measurements and loading. Black powder is a little more tolerant to errors, whereas smokeless the results are catastrophic. I would never go back to black powder.
    You have pre-measured loads ready to go then eh, I would assume dependent on powder your accuracy would be all over the map the same as any smokeless centerfire load, 0.5gr less and you missed.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You have pre-measured loads ready to go then eh, I would assume dependent on powder your accuracy would be all over the map the same as any smokeless centerfire load, 0.5gr less and you missed.
    Yes sir accurate powder measure nets tight groups. I have invested in a decent grain scale & all powder is pre-measured. I use 44gr of AA5744. I measure up about 50 vials in the pre-season & usually have plenty of extras left over...lol

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    They are a little more forgiving then that at 50 cal size. 1 grain may be an issue but honestly going in the bush with a dozen viles and bullets is not hard to carry.

Accuracy from these at 100 yards rival your very accurate CF.