Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Skins,pelts,hides

  1. #1
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default Skins,pelts,hides

    Maybe the wrong place sorry if it is. I am looking for information about the law of keeping a skin of a bear I hunt legally during open season and posses a tag for.
    Can I keep it or not? In some things I've read I need a license to possess it in other areas I've read that if I hunt it legally I don't need a licence.
    Also as far as I always knew it's illegal to sell or gift any part of an animal you've hunted, but again I read you do not need a license to possess a bear skin if you hunted it legally or it was given to you by a person who legally acquired it by hunting....
    Can anyone shed some light on what is the actual law, I am confused and can't seem to find the answer on line.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    No licence required. Your bear licence was your licence ....

    https://www.ontario.ca/page/keep-dead-wild-animal


    https://www.ontario.ca/laws/view
    Last edited by rick_iles; November 25th, 2017 at 12:07 PM.

  4. #3
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    No licence required. Your bear licence was your licence ....

    https://www.ontario.ca/page/keep-dead-wild-animal


    https://www.ontario.ca/laws/view
    Actually...


    Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    RV
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeOfBarney View Post
    Actually...



    Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
    Actually......

    A bear isn’t classed as a fur bearing mammal, it’s a game mammal.....See Schedule 1 FWCA, and Schedule 2.
    Last edited by rick_iles; November 30th, 2017 at 02:48 PM.

  6. #5
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    RV

    Actually......

    A bear isnít classed as a fur bearing mammal, itís a game mammal.....See Schedule 1 FWCA, and Schedule 2.
    Actually.........


    ... damn. I got all excited that I found something in the regs. Hahaha good on you sir

    Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeOfBarney View Post
    Actually.........


    ... damn. I got all excited that I found something in the regs. Hahaha good on you sir

    Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
    Yea, those regs are just a summary. You have to go to the actual Act to see the interpretations and meanings....

  8. #7
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Yea, those regs are just a summary. You have to go to the actual Act to see the interpretations and meanings....
    Oh,yeah...We should also mention that not only the FWCAct,but,all the Ontario regulations that pertain to it. The more you get into it,the harder it is to understand. When we take a pelt from a big game animal under the authority of a license and tag,it's ours to do with as we wish. Just don't waste it. That'll get you into trouble.
    Last edited by trimmer21; November 30th, 2017 at 08:15 PM.

  9. #8
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Oh,yeah...We should also mention that not only the FWCAct,but,all the Ontario regulations that pertain to it. The more you get into it,the harder it is to understand. When we take a pelt from a big game animal under the authority of a license and tag,it's ours to do with as we wish. Just don't waste it. That'll get you into trouble.
    Big game animals don’t have pelts......they have hides..
    Furbearers have pelts......the wasting only deals with pelts from furbearers.....just sayin” lol..
    Last edited by rick_iles; November 30th, 2017 at 08:26 PM.

  10. #9
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Big game animals don’t have pelts......they have hides..
    Furbearers have pelts......the wasting only deals with pelts from furbearers.....just sayin” lol..
    Right,but,it's still an offense to let a hide spoil.

  11. #10
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Right,but,it's still an offense to let a hide spoil.
    No...that’s only pelts from furbearing animals......if that were the case, everybody throwing moose and deer hides out would be in violation. The dumps up north are full of them. The butcher we use up there has a trailer that is usually full of hides, heads and bones that the wolf baiters come and get.....COs in and out of there all the time......

    FWCA

    Miscellaneous

    Abandoned and spoiled meat, pelts, etc.

    Abandonment of meat

    [COLOR=#505050]36 (1) A hunter or trapper who kills game wildlife other than a furbearing mammal shall not abandon it if its flesh may become unsuitable for human consumption. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 22, s. 2 (18).
    Spoiled flesh

    [COLOR=#505050](2) A person who possesses game wildlife that is not a furbearing mammal and that was hunted or trapped shall not permit its flesh to become unsuitable for human consumption. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 22, s. 2 (18).
    Abandonment or spoilage of pelts

    [COLOR=#505050](3) A hunter or trapper who kills a furbearing mammal shall not abandon the pelt or permit the pelt to be spoiled or destroyed. 1997, c. 41, s. 36 (3).


    Last edited by rick_iles; November 30th, 2017 at 09:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •