Thread: How to winterize my 17ft tracker with 50hp Yamaha?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default How to winterize my 17ft tracker with 50hp Yamaha?

I picked up a used Tracker 17.5 deep V with 50hp Yamaha boat this fall and am looking for ideas on what to do to winterize it. Any good websites to follow along.
    i picked up fuel stabilizer, fogging spray and a flushing attachment.
    thanks

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Do you have any live wells. If so, I just blow RV antifreeze into all my water lines. The motor will be self draining, just lower it down and any water will run out.
    My Etec fogs itself when I winterized it, but you may have to run yours and spray the fogging oil into the carbs, or attach the can to the fitting on the carb if you have one. Just google winterizing whatever model of motor you have....it will be on YouTube....

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I always tape a plastic bag on the intake for the live well and fill it with antifreeze. Then pump it through the system..... 2 man job.
    I also put the plug in the boat and pour antifreeze in the stern area and turn on the bilge until it pumps through. Take the boat plug back out when your done.
    Remove all your batteries and charge them then store them.
    Inside if you can.
    Change the lower end gear oil on the motor.
    Very important because if any water has gotten in to the bottom end it can freeze and crack the lower end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stragglelake View Post
    I always tape a plastic bag on the intake for the live well and fill it with antifreeze. Then pump it through the system..... 2 man job.
    I also put the plug in the boat and pour antifreeze in the stern area and turn on the bilge until it pumps through. Take the boat plug back out when your done.
    Remove all your batteries and charge them then store them.
    Inside if you can.
    Change the lower end gear oil on the motor.
    Very important because if any water has gotten in to the bottom end it can freeze and crack the lower end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, if you don’t do anything else, check lower unit for water and make sure the motor has drained out...

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

2 stroke or 4? If it's a 4, don't forget to change the motor oil and filter now, no point in letting dirty oil sit in the engine all winter. If it has a portable tank, I pull the fuel hose off and drain that too. If it's got the filter/water separator at back of the motor, check that, drain if necessary.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Your owners manual is a gem here, also, call up your dealership and ask for their advice!

Kyle Legend Boats