Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for ways to cook squirrel

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Looking for ways to cook squirrel

Hi
    just got a nice squirrel I hear they are good eating I am just looking for a few ways to cook them up any help is great thanks

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Just google squirrel recipes , there are lots of them .

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Just google squirrel recipes , there are lots of them .
    If this is the first time you are having Squirrel you may want to try this. Let’s you know how good it is.

Cut squirrel into six pieces , legs 4 and back and breast where your most meat boil for about 15 min in water with a tbsp of vinegar in it. I use apple cider vinegar.

Take out, rinse pieces and allow to dry a bit or pat with paper towel. Put oil an inch , in a cast iron fry pan, I use peanut oil and heat so that the squirrel will cook like chicken wings... keep turning till all meat is cooked . You will be able to tell as it changes from that opalescent look to white like chicken.

Remove from pan and put on paper towels . Salt and pepper and enjoy!

You can also shake it in a sauce made of Franks Red Hot and Butter and dip in Blue cheese dressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything that you know can be taught... Take the time, make the effort and share your knowledge... Take someone fishing!

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Chicken fried. Sooo. Good.

I skip the boil. I coat it, pan fry it to brown in cast iron and then toss it in the oven at low heat for a while.
    Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters Member

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boozyleroux View Post
    Chicken fried. Sooo. Good.

I skip the boil. I coat it, pan fry it to brown in cast iron and then toss it in the oven at low heat for a while.
    I'll be heading out for my first squirrel hunt soon enough, saw too many during deer season not to go back out with the .22 now. Chicken fried squirrel from what I've seen looks like a damn good meal

I was also thinking about quartering up one or two as a treat for the dog, raw food diet. I think if your not going to cook away any possible unpleasantness (bacteria / parasite) then freezing for a couple of weeks first should do the trick

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I'm tempted out of curiosity and disgusted at the possibility that it might taste good.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Is one even enough to feed a person?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by poltrojan View Post
    I'm tempted out of curiosity and disgusted at the possibility that it might taste good.
    They are delicious, better than rabbits in the cedars for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    Is one even enough to feed a person?
    Does a single grouse feed a person? Well worth the shot though, was the first thing I ever hunted, then rabbit and groundhogs. I never did find a baby groundhog that was not full of ticks to taste, grandpa used to bring those guys home for his mom to cook back in the 40s and everyone loved them.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

My suggestion would be to get at least one more to cook up lol. Put them in a slow cooker with some onion soup mix and your choice of liquid, beer, wine or broth with the browned squirrel pieces. Meat should be falling off the bones after a couple of hours. Enjoy.

Cheers

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Shaken Bake !
    Glen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast