Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaws Again

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Pferd first came out with the 2 in 1 file guides several years ago, and I scooped one up. Pretty sure they manufacture the Stihl branded version as well. I'll never go back to using a standard round file/guide and flat file again! There's something to be said for filing consistency, especially if you bore cut trees like I do. Nothing worse than an inconsistent full chisel chain and frozen wood!

No grinders or dremels for this guy, just the 2 in 1. I cut Ash all Winter at work, and have thoroughly enjoyed using a 362CM with a 20" for felling, and a 261 with an 18" for limbing and bucking the last few years.

-Nick
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thanks for the positive feedback Sprite...

Picked it up this morning...so far impressed; sturdily built for 'field' use and nice size for handling. I won't get a chance to use it till the weekend, but will do a follow up report once I use it on the 3/8 on my 036.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I just checked with our local Stihl dealer Rental Village and they have them in stock at $44.95. Seems like about half the price as Amazon.ca. I'm quite tempted lol.

Cheers

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    I just checked with our local Stihl dealer Rental Village and they have them in stock at $44.95. Seems like about half the price as Amazon.ca. I'm quite tempted lol.

Cheers
    Do it!
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
    Do it!
    Lol, I just might. I do have questions though. Can the round file be rotated so that it don't wear just in one spot and can the files be replaced in the jig once worn out? Tks

Cheers

Elite Member

User Info Menu

So I did it yesterday and bought one. To answer my own questions yes the files can be rotated and replaced when needed. The round files are just standard but the raker file is square and not flat. Looking forward to trying it out.

Cheers

Member for Life

User Info Menu

So 44.95???

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    So I did it yesterday and bought one. To answer my own questions yes the files can be rotated and replaced when needed. The round files are just standard but the raker file is square and not flat. Looking forward to trying it out.

Cheers

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    So 44.95???
    Standard price quoted by 3 Stihl dealers in the area!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Yeah, they are like 50 bucks, I said that earlier....and there is 2 round files, and a square file in each one, so its not expensive at all when you think about what you get. I'm telling you guys, they are the cats . Been using them for almost 2 years now, and I cut a TON of wood. I'm not just joe homeowner chainsaw guy, I work in the largest managed forest in southern ontario, and I burn 4 or 5 bush cords of wood every year. I do a lot of felling, and cut lots of firewood too.

Buy one and you will see. Best set up going, and I've tried them all. You guys using the dremels, they destroy your chains. Throw that crap out.

S.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sinker View Post
    You guys using the dremels, they destroy your chains. Throw that crap out
    Just curious...so have have to ask..How?

I've used a Dremel type jig ( a vintage one made by WEN) for many years. It is battery operated so I can use it in the bush but use it primarily at home. The Tungstone sharpening bits are from Lee Valley do a fabulous job cleaning up the cutter and putting on a good edge. Far quicker than with a file and has served me well for for the past 15yrs of cutting firewood.

The only negative comment I ever heard on them was that, because of the fast bit rotation, they actually harden the cutter tips and makes them harder to sharpen manually with a file after....so you have to stick with the Dremel.
    Last edited by MikePal; February 10th, 2018 at 07:08 AM.