Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to go early season ice fishing

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default Where to go early season ice fishing

Planning a trip, would like to go end of Dec. if possible. Looking for experienced advice which would be more likely to have safest ice by end of Dec...of course will wait for ice reports but wondering based on past experience which is best. Which lake is most likely to freeze first...

Scugog
    Rice Lake
    Simcoe
    Nippising
    Last edited by Deer Wrastler; December 2nd, 2017 at 03:32 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

nippising will have ice first for sure. Better fishing up that way also.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

yea but cant legally ice fish it until Jan 1st I heard...we might push back until second week of Jan. if nothing ices over for end of dec.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Looking at the long range forecast it is promising to be on rice lake by Christmas ( in protected back bays )

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

good to know thanks

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I have been out on Simcoe before Christmas and just after for the last few years..... Virginia Beach area freezes first or Couchaching which is basically Simcoe anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stragglelake View Post
    I have been out on Simcoe before Christmas and just after for the last few years..... Virginia Beach area freezes first or Couchaching which is basically Simcoe anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    is it a far walk from the shore or would you need a snow machine? last year we were at pfefferlaw or however you spell it and walked out over a mile without a snow machine...was told we needed to go further out.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Wrastler View Post
    is it a far walk from the shore or would you need a snow machine? last year we were at pfefferlaw or however you spell it and walked out over a mile without a snow machine...was told we needed to go further out.
    Vb is 1 to 2 km walk depending where you are fishing. Do you have the navionic app?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We are looking at a Simcoe trip or two as well. I don’t hold out much hope for St. Clair according to the forecasts....

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

If your willing to go as far as Nipissing what about an another hour further north to the Temigami area.
    Last year we were fishing between Christmas & New Years. The year before not as good but did get out.
    There most things in season other than lakers. Even some spec lakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast