Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tagged a Yote

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Tagged a Yote

Well a little more than what I bargained for while out for a walk with the dogs this morning.

Some of you might recall I mentioned earlier about a Coyote problem in the field next to my farm. Well the lads (a Great Pyrenees and a Bernese Mountain Dog) took off across that field even before I rounded the corner and all I heard was a yote howling then all I saw was them disappeared into the bush.

A moment later the Pyrenees comes running back out with two yotes on him. Thank God hes fast , they were in hot pursuit until I ran into the field and hollered.

Well that then turned into a spontaneous hunt; took the dogs home, grabbed the Mauser, my yote call and headed back out, forgetting my glasses and the bipod.

I got to the edge of the feild and scanned the treeline thru the scope. Gave the call a couple quick chirps and low and behold, one of them comes back out into the field.

Now Im breathing pretty heavy, heart racing, excitement taking over, so I lean on the fence post for some stability and take an off hand shot at him.

He jumps and he goes down, but cant see clearly without my distance glasses, so I pull the gun back up to use the scope. But hes not down doing the funky chicken, hes pulling fur out of his belly area. I never had a chance to cycle another round before he jumps up and runs back into the bush.

A least I tagged him.

Went back with the range finder and from the point of impact to the fence post was 104 yds.

The shot was taken from about 1 o'clock, just left of those birch trees.

Great fun, I will set up properly later this afternoon and see if I can't call them out. This is getting bad when I can't take the dogs out back safely anymore. The Pyrenees has encountered them before but they usually just run, this time they took the offensive, time to stop that.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

And did you follow the trail to get him?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krakadawn View Post
    And did you follow the trail to get him?
    Even a varmint like a coyote deserves a quick death.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Exciting for sure.... Nothing like having the heart racing, breathing hard, seeing him, trying to get him lined up in the scope.............and then taking the shot.... With coyotes, you need the stars to lineup, not always easy....
    Good luck trying to get the others...
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It looks from the blood that you hit it hard,Mike. Take a look inside the brush line. You'll likely find it piled up not too far away. Our M/L week starts tomorrow and ends next Sunday,so,blaze orange will be required for all hunters this week. Once,this week is over and there's nobody in the bush,Coyote starts in earnest. I bought a FoxPro electronic call that I'm itching to try out.
    I like my firearms like Liberals like voters-----undocumented.

Proud supporter of OFAH,CCFR,NRA,A.F.& A.M. and Shriners Children's Hospitals.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They can go a long way after a solid hit. I’ve seen them run over a mile after being hit hard. They are arguably the toughest critter out there. We’ve shot 3 or 4 that have had a leg missing and healed up. You would never know that when they are running flat out...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'm sure I hit him pretty good, he cartwheeled and was down. I tracked him into the bush a short ways, but the water is very deep and I didn't have boots on.

I have a good idea where the den is, I've been hoping for snow down and the ground to freeze so I can confirm it. Once that is established I will set up and take them out till there is no more activity there.

I've borrowed line052's Foxpro to give it a try, so tonight will be a good opportunity.

I had a guy here last week that used a remote speaker and an app on his phone. That seemed to be very user friendly and the sound was really awesome. I'll need to find out more about it.

Once ML is over I will turn my attention to thinning this pack. If nothing drive them farther back so they don't attack the dogs up near the barn.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Don't count on the den at this time of the year, usually one of the last places you'll find them now.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krakadawn View Post
    Don't count on the den at this time of the year, usually one of the last places you'll find them now.
    True but come Feb/Mar they'll be around it and I'll deal with them. This is a year round pack that lives out back. They don't go far.
    Last edited by MikePal; December 3rd, 2017 at 02:04 PM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Glad you took one. I've only got one this fall so far and that was in deer season. 94 yard chip shot with the smokeless ml.

Missed one last week at 230 yards running across the field. Could have sworn I hit him as he rolled but no fur or blood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast