Thread: Bait hits when empty question

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Default Bait hits when empty question

How long after the bait is gone will deer come back to check it?

My bait lasts about 3-6 days, I normally hunt it 3 days after filling my feeders but if I cant get out to fill it will they come back at day 7, 8..etc after it is empty?

Guys with trail cameras, what are your findings??
    " Grant Mountain Bloodhounds Clementine Burgermeister TD, MiSAR"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I have had deer come back all winter, dig in the snow looking for any thing. As well during the fall once in a while checking.
    Never resent growing old, Many do not get the chance.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My problem now is the deer haven't touched the apples/corn in over a week...they don't seem interested in it anymore...or yet ?? Not cold enough to make them look for food ?

One of my trail cams usually show activity for 4-5 days after the bait has dwindled. Then it will pick up an odd straggler coming by, but it's not far from a beaten down trail, so hard to say if it's just normal bush traffic.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

it depends on how conditioned they are to your bait site...everybodys answer will vary depending on how conditioned their deer are....generally the longer they are condtioned the more likely you will get a conditioned response.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Im.getting hits every second day and night too...apples. Steady over last 3 weeks...eastern ont Lanark. Swamp deer...

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I can't get the deer to respond to my bait either. I'm using a PVC tube feeder hanging off of a branch to discourage the coons. I can't get a deer on the camera just coons and coyotes (looking up in the trees at the coons I might add). I know there are deer there because I have a stand less than 50 m away and I see does in the area. Weird! Wish I could find a source of cheap apples.

I find the deer in past years would come for about 3-4 days to check after the intial toss on the ground. They won't come at all unless there's snow and cold weather.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    I can't get the deer to respond to my bait either. I'm using a PVC tube feeder hanging off of a branch to discourage the coons. I can't get a deer on the camera just coons and coyotes (looking up in the trees at the coons I might add). I know there are deer there because I have a stand less than 50 m away and I see does in the area. Weird! Wish I could find a source of cheap apples.

I find the deer in past years would come for about 3-4 days to check after the intial toss on the ground. They won't come at all unless there's snow and cold weather.
    I'm seeing pictures of lots of deer and other creatures hitting my PVC tubes into January and late February. The bait was gone at the start of November. It probably still smells of food for them.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Are your tubes suspended or strapped to a tree? I found suspending them removed the coon problem but i'm wondering if the deer find them less appealing.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Over the years I have had hits on my bait spread out over the days and nights repeatedly but at random times. I start early September until well into December with corn and apples. I have had some instances where there are no deer for a whole week at a time and I know they are still in the area from different cams set up. No rhyme or reason that I can think of unless maybe the does are being tended/bred but not sure. They are wild animals and don't really have a set schedule I guess.
    John