Thread: Ladder stand safety inspection

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Ladder stand safety inspection

For those of you that use these convenient stands be aware of the fact that they rust from the inside out. I pulled one out of service yesterday and only after 5 years of use because I noticed hair line fractures at several areas along the vertical span of the ladder. This is an integral and critical support of the structure and one can imagine a sudden and catastrophic failure while you are sitting 15 feet off the ground. So, take the time to inspect them as they have a short life span.

Last edited by impact; December 10th, 2017 at 11:41 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Good tip. They are inexpensive because they are made from cheap steel. Worth looking at every year.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I don't leave any of my stands up after I'm finished for the season, and what you experienced is one reason why (the other reason is theft). They only see a few weeks of the outdoors before they are taken down and stored inside until the next year.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Probably wouldn't hurt to shoot a bit of rust check in there when they're new.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Probably wouldn't hurt to shoot a bit of rust check in there when they're new.
    Great idea! I better check mine, they have been out steady for six years.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I got a cheap $100 two man stand from Walmart (US) almost 20 yrs ago...never been taken down. I inspect it every year and it's surprising how well it has lasted. I just tighten up a few nuts and cinch up the straps. Most of the time it's just a little surface rust here and there that I spray with Tremclad. I figured it would have been good for only a few year when I bought it.

But yes a good inspection is required to make sure it's safe., good tip.!!!