Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second rut under way?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Second rut under way?

I went out to a farm today and spotted a nice looking buck walking across a cut hay field today.
    It was about 4:30pm... He wasn't feeding, he was walking proud like he had love on his mine....So guessing the second rut might be coming in?
    Just thought I give you a heads up
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Member

User Info Menu

This past Thurs Frank, up at the camp for ML on camera, first pic was of a small doe, Second pic was of a n 8 point, Third pic was of him mounting her. Now this was up in WMU60 and not down here, but I would say the 2nd rut is on...
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Apprentice

User Info Menu

TBH I don't think it's the second Rut, I think its the tail end of first. This Fall has been again unseaonably warm which keeps pushing the rut "date" back. The only way to tell though is to get a late season doe and check if she was pregnant. If you then measure the fetus you can estimate when she was bred.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
    TBH I don't think it's the second Rut, I think its the tail end of first. This Fall has been again unseaonably warm which keeps pushing the rut "date" back. The only way to tell though is to get a late season doe and check if she was pregnant. If you then measure the fetus you can estimate when she was bred.
    rut happens same time every year regardless of weather. if it's warmer we simply see less of the rut at it will happen more at night. second rut is likely on right now and progressing towards the tail end.
    A Hunt Based Only On Trophies Taken Falls Far Short Of What The Ultimate Goal Should Be - Fred Bear

Apprentice

User Info Menu

The rut's peak happens around the same time each year. but the rut isn't marked on the calendar as a specific date. it starts when the first doe goes into estrus and ends when the last doe is bread. No second rut, no I missed the rut, no are they rutting yet.
    yes there are defiantly peaks and slow times between the last week of October and the last week in December but science says that the rut can last into January in some areas

Dan

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Rut is not triggered by weather. A hormonal reaction to the diminishing daylight is what brings the does into estrus, and causes bucks to generate more testosterone. Weather will still play a factor in amount sightings (ie, daytime movement) but the rut generally begins and ends within the same few days every year. Does coming into estrus for the first time typically occurs ~28 days later, starting the second rut.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myot View Post
    The rut's peak happens around the same time each year. but the rut isn't marked on the calendar as a specific date. it starts when the first doe goes into estrus and ends when the last doe is bread. No second rut, no I missed the rut, no are they rutting yet.
    yes there are defiantly peaks and slow times between the last week of October and the last week in December but science says that the rut can last into January in some areas

Dan
    which would explain why some fawns are born in June...

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

John Ozaga's white tail intrigue is chocked full of deer biology and many good reads about the rut and fawns etc. Highly recommend this book to those that may be confused about the biology....like many walks of life there is the somewhat normal beliefs that alot of people agree on more or less and then there is science. I prefer to follow science personally.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

From a couple book I read I was into the impression there are 3 ruts, early November been the second.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The term/word rut, to me means....... interested in chasing/finding the girls...
    Whether it is called the 1st 2nd 3rd or just rut phrase, isn't so important. What is important, is knowing when they are most vulnerable (chasing the girls or walking in the open fields during daylight hours). Sighting and harvests from this site help show when the action heats up and tag holders (if possible) should take advantage of that time frame.
    Best of luck to all still heading out as (IMO)some of the big boys (this week) are looking/chasing the girls hard. (not sure if pun is intended but it is there)
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast