Thread: Falling through the ice. What to do?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Falling through the ice. What to do?

Yesterday, while doing an ice report on Lake Couchiching, we came across some very unsafe ice and decided to try and show what to do if you fall through. Always be prepared and have safety equipment in the early season. I try to do this every couple of years in a controlled setting. It makes me comfortable knowing that I know how to escape properly if it were ever to happen accidentally. Ice picks are the single most important piece of equipment I have with me, other than a float suit. Always have a friend and always have some rope, especially early on.

Steve Rowbotham
    Get kids into fishing!
    @rowbobass

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

looks chilly. nice video

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The water wasn’t very deep by the looks of it. The worst thing when you go into deep water, is your gasp reflex. That’s when you take on water. We did Ice immersion training, and it is very difficult not to gasp! Once you go in a couple of times you know what to expect.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yes, thanks for the reminder....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Thanks for the video. Im sure its worse when you don't expect it, and you get the water right to your head. Thanks for posting
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Good reminder Steve, thanks and I hope no one needs to use that this coming season..............................Daniel

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Great video , thanks for posting. How thick was the ice you went through ?

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Three part video from a university researcher in Manitoba on Youtube

Link to part 1:
    https://youtu.be/5gOW8ZaYqHA

Very informative.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

When I was 10 years old,I used to live in Moncton new Brunswick is a lake in town called Jones lake.Back then,kids played outdoors! Me and my friend were walking on Jones lake,all was good until we started to get close to a water pipe that ran under a causeway.

My friend was walking about 10 feet in front of me. Then in the blink of an eye ,he goes through.He spread his arms out and that is what was keeping his head and shoulders above the ice.As I type this,its as if am am there,and it was 49 years ago.Some things you will never ever forget.

His only words were "please help me" .Back in those days,like I said kids played outdoors.They actually used to have television commercials on what to do if you went through.So I laid down on the ice to spread my weight out and crawled towards him.I reached out and grabbed his hand and started crawling backwards.Once we were far enough away from the hole we started the cold walk back to his house.

All the way back,he kept saying,"don't tell my mother".

Being kids we never realized the magnitude of what just took place.

The one thing I could have done better is to have take my jacket off and used it to pull him out.This would have kept me further away from him and the thin ice.Assuming he still had the strength to hold onto the jacket .

So,yes it can happen.Always have a plan.Have safety gear.Dont walk side by side close together.

I have 2 kids and 5 grandchildren.I get a very strange feeling when I tell this story.....You can NEVER be safe enough.

Visualize the worst and visualize your way out.

Discuss it with your fishing partner/s

What would we do if......
    Last edited by uv2021; December 28th, 2017 at 02:48 PM.