Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My, my how times have changed....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    Any of this kind of capability built into this?
    Not sure, but this guy touches on some of the Trail Can pic capabilities in his review...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBKNo9J09fc

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rimfire905 View Post
    I'd love to learn about how to use my smartphone as an e caller. I presume just get some calls on mp3 format and use a standard player...

Where would one get the sound files?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    There are all kinds of downloads for free. You could start here:
    https://averageoutdoorsman.com/wild-game-downloads/

I've used the calling sequence from this site before:
    http://www.varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm

My first caller consisted of a cheap $20 mp3 player that ran on a single AAA battery connected to a computer speaker powered by 2 AA batteries. Now you could just download some free calls onto your phone, and get a cheap blue tooth speaker and do it that way.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by delmer View Post

My first caller consisted of a cheap $20 mp3 player that ran on a single AAA battery connected to a computer speaker powered by 2 AA batteries. Now you could just download some free calls onto your phone, and get a cheap blue tooth speaker and do it that way.
    Thanks Delmer,

That's worth a try...

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Meh, If it's in the flyer, TSC won't have stock anyway.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M_P View Post
    Meh, If it's in the flyer, TSC won't have stock anyway.
    Order it on line...have them deliver it to the store..wait for the call...slick process and avoids disappointment.

I did that yesterday, they called last night (had one in stock) and I picked it up this morning.

Now for the long learning curve to get it set up; I guess I'll have to sit by the fireplace with a glass or two of nog

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Order it on line...have them deliver it to the store..wait for the call...slick process and avoids disappointment.

I did that yesterday, they called last night (had one in stock) and I picked it up this morning.

Now for the long learning curve to get it set up; I guess I'll have to sit by the fireplace with a glass or two of nog
    Give us a review after a while Mike.

At 1st glance a couple of points jump out.

1. It's an android tablet, meaning lots of apps available. Now it's running an older version of android, so it may be the reason for the clear out at that price.
    2. Being ruggedized and relatively weather resistant is decent. You could spend over $100 on a similar non-ruggedized unit, and have to spend a lot of $$$ for a Griffin, or Lifeproof case.
    3. The SD card reader is value unto itself.

Let us know how it works out.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by delmer View Post

Thanks Delmer.

I've spent a lot on gear and easier to use stuff I already have.

Only issue is severe cold but I don't know how much of that I'll do lol. I don't want to be an ice cube.

I checked out some of the calls. Those sequenced ones are handy.

Fawn in distress is my likely candidate.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebulldog View Post
    Let us know how it works out.
    So far I'm very pleased....but it was an effort, more because I'd never set up an Android based tablet before, so a heck of a learning curve for the grey matter

Cons;
    The biggest hurtle in setting up the device, for some reason, it was not 'seen' by Google....so any apps like Chrome and Google Play wouldn't work right. Again not knowing what was wrong I spent a lot of time trying different work-arounds to no avail.

On a positive note; I e-mailed the query to Spypoint customer service and they send me a 'update.zip' file (2 hrs later) with instructions to install at the bios level. It was a bit tricky but got it installed and it fixed the problem.

It wasn't a real deal breaker as the GeoPad comes with another App downloader that worked great once updated thru the browser already installed.

Pros;

The GPS (satellite) works fabulous and is very accurate. The off line maps are great with the GPS and I was able to set waypoints etc very easily. The GPS compass 'wayhome' app also works great. Still have a few others to try out.

The Wild Game call function is super and works great with a remote Bluetooth speaker. I'll used my wife's for now but found a ruggedized weather proof one on Amazon for $25 so it's in the mail. It will sit out about 10 m (33') away from the blind. Nice kit.

edit add; I should have mentioned...I hit Google Play and waded thru the plethora of FREE game call apps and installed a few..they all work great.

The Kindle app for books works flawlessly thru the GeoPad wifi...links to my Amazon Library and I can 'send' books directly to the GeoPad.

So far I'm tres impressed... still a lot of fine tuning to do to get it customized, but for $200 I got a device full of useful tools and functions in a single ruggedized weather proof package....eliminates a whack of other hardware i used to carry out with me.

Thanks for the heads up 73Hunter....I like to embrace technology when it practical and serves a useful purpose. I was looking to buy a FoxPro predator caller, for more $$ than this, so I saved money and got so much more.
    Last edited by MikePal; December 21st, 2017 at 06:41 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

As a visual aid; purely based on a pragmatics..technology has simplified the kit we take with us to the field.

Granted I will still carry the Silva and/or add a small Duracell charger ($10) in the back pack for the GeoPad.

https://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Inst.../dp/B002FU6KF2

The little blue thing with the Geo Pad is an optional remote Bluetooth speaker you can put out 10 yds from the blind. Missing on the far side is a SDcard viewer some guys carry, the GeoPad has one built in.

With less to carry...as Martha would say "That's a good thing"

Last edited by MikePal; December 23rd, 2017 at 05:46 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123