Thread: 2017, a year of lifers for me

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default 2017, a year of lifers for me

[COLOR=#303030]Been a wild and crazy year for this northern boy, travelling down south of barrie for my first time in my 28 years of living to explore southern Ontario and do some different fishing and hunting for new species. I first started the adventures with a trip to south Georgian bay for bowfin and while I had trouble in my first 2 days along with vehicle issues outside of Exeter I managed to get my first few including a 13 pounder which I released unharmed. (I kepted the small 4 pounder to eat and wasn't the great thing to eat... haha) In June I whent to nippising tributarys and even with slow fishing I got 2 white bass. During my shooping trip in Cabelas in Barrie to prepare for duck season i read lots abouts gobies being caught in Simcoe so i spent a good half hour fishing em and got 30 in that amount of time at the local park with dancing mascots in the background. While during july and most of august I was suposs to go for longnose gar but weather conditions weren't exactly favorable and busy with work but had my big break near labour day weekend and even with limited time (2-3hours of fishing time) I did get a few gar along the beaches near wasaga/Collingwood area, the fishing was hot in both literal sences. With weather at over plus 30 with big heavy black waders on I almost had a heat stroke. After a couple missed hits I managed to land 2 of em about 5 pounds and over 30 inches long. The most intresting thing is cleaning the gar to eat, I keeped one for the table and just cutting through that skin is an adventure of its own... requiring wire cutters. Surprisingly the meat was awesome tasting! Its shame how they are viewed as garbage by many locals and fisherman in general. They and the bowfin are worthy fish deserving of more respect. On that trip home ive also got a few fallfish aswell outside of Englehart, nothing big but still cool to get. Month of September and the whole talk about salmon got me intrested. I booked a trip with a guide for the very first time. Was a wild wild ride up the river and over the rapids and riffles to get to the spot but once we got there the action was consistent with the salmon hitting our roe bags. That day I got 4 chinooks with one about 19 pounds. For fishing wise this was a very good year! I'm already pumped for next years adventures (channel cats, crappie maybe rudd, white perch, bluegill, green sunfish)! Tight lines.

New species

Bowfin
    White Bass
    Round Gobieroundgoby.jpglongnosegar.jpgchinooksalmon.jpgwhitebass2.jpg18447536_10154441834516969_8358464331522974115_n.jpg
    Longnose Gar
    Fallfish
    Chinook Salmon

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Congrats on the variety of fish
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"