Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How cold before sitting is not an option?

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SK33T3R View Post
    I put my friends in tree stands.

Me? I'm getting to old to keep covering up stupidity with effort ........ so a turtle hut for me!

the hut
    Attachment 36421

the view most days. this buck is a daily visitor. lucky he visits me!

Attachment 36422
    Nice looking set up Skeeter. For some reason i still think i can carry on like i did 30 years ago when i was 20. For the most part it works. The only real difference is now it hurts the next day.

For instance was on my sled all day checking ice thickness on a bunch of backcountry lakes today. Took a corner on a hill too fast and parked my sled on its side with my leg stuck underneath. Five minutes of digging and got my leg out, flipped the sled back and carried on. I know when i wake tomorrow that leg will not be happy.
    Last edited by Species8472; December 30th, 2017 at 12:11 AM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Joe - so you're around 50? keep it up! BUT be warned .. Everything begins to change. Eyes start going, aches start appearing for no fricken reason. Those old sports injures begin to resurface. I still played competitive hardball (pitcher/catcher) and competitive hockey until I was 57 then just couldn't do it no more. The shoulders just gave out. I hunted through all the cold days/every day with a compound bow (in treestands not blinds) and I looked down at the crossbow guys. I used to ask them if they got the free skirt when they bought it. I went to a draw-lock setup so I could still use my bows at that point. But shoulders getting worse. Well, time to eat crow I guess, (we all do at some point) and I bought a hickory creek vertical crossbow. What a SWEET setup! I shot my second doe on the 27th (deer #93) and it's almost too easy. I already know how to hunt and now I have a setup like this! WOW!
    Anyway the point of this all is enjoy it while you can. Your time is coming. We'll keep in touch for many years to come (I hope)and I'm smiling now because I know I'm right! Not just me but every other ol'timer out there!
    Good Luck and happy new year to ya!
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Yep I'm 69 xbow for me for deer . Garden tractor with chains to get me to an area near by to sit & wait . I use large 60" umbrella Camo painted for blind because of arthiritis I can't set up my Dogloo any more . Got a letter of permission from MNRF to hunt from stationary vehicle so that helps too . Hopefully get 5 more years in bush . This extreme cold weather has shortened my deer hunt tho so tag soup for me . Hopefully warms up for 2 mths of bunnies . Happy hunting all .
    ' This is God's country don't make it look like Hell '
    OFAH member

User Info Menu

Joe - so you're around 50? keep it up!
    Good Luck and happy new year to ya!
    Happy new year to you and yours as well. Actually to all the forum members while i am at it.

Yeah turned 50 this year and became a grandfather last June to make it official.

93 deer is impressive Skeeter. Not sure how many i am at as i didn't start keeping track until 8 years ago. Last 8 seasons i have managed 25 with additionals and the odd party hunt. 18 bucks and 7 does.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rossh View Post
    Yep I'm 69 xbow for me for deer . Garden tractor with chains to get me to an area near by to sit & wait . I use large 60" umbrella Camo painted for blind because of arthiritis I can't set up my Dogloo any more . Got a letter of permission from MNRF to hunt from stationary vehicle so that helps too . Hopefully get 5 more years in bush . This extreme cold weather has shortened my deer hunt tho so tag soup for me . Hopefully warms up for 2 mths of bunnies . Happy hunting all .
    Whatever works man. Keep at it and good luck!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    Whatever works man. Keep at it and good luck!
    Thanks man ..
    ' This is God's country don't make it look like Hell '
    OFAH member

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I didn't start keeping track until one year at moose camp when one of the blowhards started bragging about all the stuff he captured. One of our guys told him that I had way more then him. I was only bow hunting about 7 or 8 years and it was pretty fresh in my mind. There were a few years I actually broke double digits. I had a couple farmers with huge deer problems and I had the permissions. Either shoot more or more guys will be right beside ya. I actually walked away from a property and have never been back. Couldn't take the pressure. I was letting deer walk and the owner went nuts. One season I had 114 animals under 20 yds ... 42 were bucks. I hunted every day. I mean every day. Sun, heat, rain, snow - 3 month season I missed 2 days.
    Anyway our unit has always had lots of additional tags. Up to 7 for a while .. now down to 3 .. add in some party hunting and the numbers add up. I slowed down years ago but 2 or 3 is my average depending on space in the freezer. (3 friends of mine took 14 from one property 2 yrs ago) - all bow.
    I have been blessed and my kids think venison is available in every grocery store. It has been a great ride and I hope I can get to 100 before I die. Not that I'm trying to rush it - I really enjoy my time afield.
    The biggest kick in the nuts has been the moose snafu - I enjoyed moosin probably the best .. next is bear hunting .. then deer.
    Tomorrow will be a sad day. I'll be there till dark. Then sit on the tailgate with a beer and thank the creator for giving me this season and hope for another! Just one last favor .. Please send one of my 2 target bucks my way ... Amen!
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

User Info Menu

The skirt comes with each sack of corn
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I didn't start keeping track until one year at moose camp when one of the blowhards started bragging about all the stuff he captured. One of our guys told him that I had way more then him. I was only bow hunting about 7 or 8 years and it was pretty fresh in my mind. There were a few years I actually broke double digits. I had a couple farmers with huge deer problems and I had the permissions. Either shoot more or more guys will be right beside ya. I actually walked away from a property and have never been back. Couldn't take the pressure. I was letting deer walk and the owner went nuts. One season I had 114 animals under 20 yds ... 42 were bucks. I hunted every day. I mean every day. Sun, heat, rain, snow - 3 month season I missed 2 days.
    Anyway our unit has always had lots of additional tags. Up to 7 for a while .. now down to 3 .. add in some party hunting and the numbers add up. I slowed down years ago but 2 or 3 is my average depending on space in the freezer. (3 friends of mine took 14 from one property 2 yrs ago) - all bow.
    I have been blessed and my kids think venison is available in every grocery store. It has been a great ride and I hope I can get to 100 before I die. Not that I'm trying to rush it - I really enjoy my time afield.
    The biggest kick in the nuts has been the moose snafu - I enjoyed moosin probably the best .. next is bear hunting .. then deer.
    Tomorrow will be a sad day. I'll be there till dark. Then sit on the tailgate with a beer and thank the creator for giving me this season and hope for another! Just one last favor .. Please send one of my 2 target bucks my way ... Amen!
    Very nice......
    Enjoyed the read
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Just starting out

User Info Menu

The only answer is cold enough that you don't care about having an empty freezer for a year

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123