Thread: Reel question

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Reel question

The wife for Christmas surprised me with a new 11.3ft Fenwick HMX casting rod for Salmon/Steelhead river fishing. I admit that I didn't know the difference between casting rod VS spinning rod. But a good google search solved that question. So my question is now what type of bait caster would you guys recommend for this rod for fishing salmon/ steelhead in the river
    Last edited by tom gobble; December 28th, 2017 at 10:00 PM.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Take the rod in question with you to a good tackle shop, they will help you find one that suits you, your style and price range.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I use a shimano core. If your using heavier tackle you can go with a cheaper reel, but if your planning to fish lighter gear then your going to want to spend some money on a quality reel and perhaps a bearing upgrade. With my core and boca Abec 7's on a 13 foot twist rod I can toss a 5 gram float damn near all the way across the beaver.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Something with a decent amount of spool to it. You need a lot of line when those big girls take you for a run. Also, be sure to spool some MONO line on first before braid. PS... use braid!

Hedgehog

User Info Menu

guess the next question to ask, do you have a lot of experience with Baitcasters? I used one once or twice for float fishing and it doesn't work the greatest, you have to loosen off the brake for the spool to much for my liking to let the line float down the river properly. my 2 cents worth.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I didn't want to get rid of the rod because it was a gift that I wanted, just the wrong type LOL. I ended up buying an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C3 (AB) round reel. Im thinking of upgrading the bearings but not sure if I need to. So far just waiting for better weather to give it a go. Have you guys found changing the bearings really make a difference.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tom gobble View Post
    I didn't want to get rid of the rod because it was a gift that I wanted, just the wrong type LOL. I ended up buying an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C3 (AB) round reel. Im thinking of upgrading the bearings but not sure if I need to. So far just waiting for better weather to give it a go. Have you guys found changing the bearings really make a difference.
    I have had a C4 for many years that I use mostly for catfish but also for steelhead and salmon when I get the chance. It has served me well and I haven't changed a thing on it, just cleaned it every year and backed off the drag in the off season. Those reels are very well made and I doubt you could improve on their performance. TC

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Straight up dude, you could make a baitcasting outfit like that work for steelhead and salmon fishing in Ontario, but it's very limited and not versatile at all. If it hasn't been used yet, I would honestly suggest you take rod and reel back to the store and exchange it - even if it was a gift. Once you use it, you can't really return it, so you'll be stuck with something that will always be awkward to use.

If you're starting out, get a 10 - 11 foot spinning rod and a medium-sized spinning reel. It's not the best combo for anything, but it's incredibly versatile and you can do everything with it - casting lures off the pier, bottom bouncing, float fishing, using hardware in rivers, you name it. Use that for a couple of years and you'll understand why it's the kind of outfit every angler owns.

The baitcasting outfit is too heavy for most of the smaller creeks, float fishing is always going to be a fiasco because you can't cast light weights without having constant problems, and in the cold weather the line guide on the reel freezes up non-stop. It's just going to drive you nuts, trust me.

Changing the bearings on a C3 isn't worth the money it will cost you. Seriously, it sounds like you're really going out of your way to try and force a square peg into a round hole here. Just trade that stuff in for a big spinning outfit. You'll be a LOT happier in the end.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Im not new to fishing at all and I totally agree at what your saying. I have float rods and spinning gear already, I just happen to break one of them and the wife thought it was a good Idea to buy me this rod. Im just trying to make it work without hearting her feelings. But thanks for the advice
    Quote Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
    Straight up dude, you could make a baitcasting outfit like that work for steelhead and salmon fishing in Ontario, but it's very limited and not versatile at all. If it hasn't been used yet, I would honestly suggest you take rod and reel back to the store and exchange it - even if it was a gift. Once you use it, you can't really return it, so you'll be stuck with something that will always be awkward to use.

If you're starting out, get a 10 - 11 foot spinning rod and a medium-sized spinning reel. It's not the best combo for anything, but it's incredibly versatile and you can do everything with it - casting lures off the pier, bottom bouncing, float fishing, using hardware in rivers, you name it. Use that for a couple of years and you'll understand why it's the kind of outfit every angler owns.

The baitcasting outfit is too heavy for most of the smaller creeks, float fishing is always going to be a fiasco because you can't cast light weights without having constant problems, and in the cold weather the line guide on the reel freezes up non-stop. It's just going to drive you nuts, trust me.

Changing the bearings on a C3 isn't worth the money it will cost you. Seriously, it sounds like you're really going out of your way to try and force a square peg into a round hole here. Just trade that stuff in for a big spinning outfit. You'll be a LOT happier in the end.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Understood. Then keep it as an outfit for bigger rivers with lots of current, like the Niagara or Saugeen. It's good for those kind of situations, just not good as an all-round outfit.

The C3 will work fine as it is, you won't gain anything by changing the bearings.

Enjoy!