Thread: Pool 1 and Pool 2

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Pool 1 and Pool 2

Can someone explain to me the difference between Pool 1 applicants and Pool 2 for moose hunting and what it means?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Clearly explained in MNR hunting regulations. Too long to explain here.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Can someone explain to me the difference between Pool 1 applicants and Pool 2 for moose hunting and what it means?
    In a nutshell,A P1 hunter is someone who hasn't been issued a tag in the past year or more. A P2 hunter is someone who is either a new hunter who hasn't bought a license before or someone who was issued a tag in the past year. In order to keep one's status as a P1 hunter,you need to buy a license every year AND apply for an adult tag. If you miss a year,you automatically go to P2 until the following year. Clear as mud and really fair,ain't it?
    Last edited by trimmer21; December 31st, 2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: clarification
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

In short, pool 1 is eligible to draw an adult tag while pool 2 is not.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    In a nutshell,A P1 hunter is someone who hasn't been issued a tag in the past year or more. A P2 hunter is someone who is either a new hunter who hasn't bought a license before or someone who was issued a tag in the past year. In order to keep one's status as a P1 hunter,you need to buy a license every year. If you miss a year,you automatically go to P2 until the following year. Clear as mud and really fair,ain't it?
    trimmer is right BUT here's more mud.

You must apply! Applying is paramount! Buy a tag every year for 20 yrs and you'll always be in P2.
    You must apply and of course been UNSUCCESSFUL in the draw. or 99Z to further confuse.

It will be interesting to find out how many people have quit moose hunting. Last year there was still lots of tag buyers but I wonder how many actually went. What a shame!
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks to those of you who tried to explain it, I appreciate that. I was able to find it in the regs and look it over. You're right, clear as mud!

As SK33T3R pointed out it will be interesting to see if the number of applicants will drop which brings me to my next question. In the regulations it shows how many Pool 1 first choice Bull applicants there were. Are those individuals or groups? Maybe a better way to put it is this: If a group has 6 Pool 1 individuals does the numbers of applicants listed in the regulations count that as 1 or 6 applicants? Is it only the group leader that would show in the applications?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Don’t forget about the Northern draw where you have a second chance on drawing a tag if you live in Northern Ontario.
    That’s how I got a tag in 27 years.
    The mnr forgot to put me on the Northern draw and then they called me.
    They said I had 2 choices:
    1. get my money back
    2. get a guaranteed tag for next year

Meanwhile, my buddy in pol 2, gets a tag.
    That is WMU 42

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Thanks to those of you who tried to explain it, I appreciate that. I was able to find it in the regs and look it over. You're right, clear as mud!

As SK33T3R pointed out it will be interesting to see if the number of applicants will drop which brings me to my next question. In the regulations it shows how many Pool 1 first choice Bull applicants there were. Are those individuals or groups? Maybe a better way to put it is this: If a group has 6 Pool 1 individuals does the numbers of applicants listed in the regulations count that as 1 or 6 applicants? Is it only the group leader that would show in the applications?
    All applicants not just group leader count for stats

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    In a nutshell,A P1 hunter is someone who hasn't been issued a tag in the past year or more. A P2 hunter is someone who is either a new hunter who hasn't bought a license before or someone who was issued a tag in the past year. In order to keep one's status as a P1 hunter,you need to buy a license every year AND apply for an adult tag. If you miss a year,you automatically go to P2 until the following year. Clear as mud and really fair,ain't it?
    Well done and very accurate trimmer
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member