Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stevens 311 16 ga.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Stevens 311 16 ga.

I just pulled the trigger on a Stevens 311 16 ga. I loooove 16 ga. Does anyone have experience with this gun.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Not specifically the 311 but a 16ga SxS is just awesome, best upland tool out there, to heck with the 20ga

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

They are work horses, not the prettiest gun out there but they work, I have an older model 311 in .410, great rabbit gun, has never given me any trouble

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I owned one in 20 ga. and have shot several 12 gauges. The mechanics should never let you down. I suspect that the 16 ga. is built on a 12 ga. frame. Beware the infamous "Stevens Crack" in the stock behind the tang. Metal/wood fit was not always the best, leading to stress on the wood. You may wish to consider glass bedding (you can do it yourself) as preventive medicine.
    What calm deer hunterís heart has not skipped a beat when the silence of a cold November morning afield is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Have the same gun jim, its all I have used for turkey's and rabbits the last few years even though I have three 12 gua. guns, a 20 gua. and a 28 gua. to choose from, it just seems to be the one I pick up even for pest control, skunks, racoons etc. Only thing I haven't used it for is goose hunting, I don't want to run steel shot out of it!
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlmorgan View Post
    Have the same gun jim, its all I have used for turkey's and rabbits the last few years even though I have three 12 gua. guns, a 20 gua. and a 28 gua. to choose from, it just seems to be the one I pick up even for pest control, skunks, racoons etc. Only thing I haven't used it for is goose hunting, I don't want to run steel shot out of it!
    Check out Kent bismuth, not the old bismuth shot, does not shatter in the air.

http://kentgamebore.com/products/bis...hotshells.html

Maybe not #5 for geese but should work well for ducks.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Check out Kent bismuth, not the old bismuth shot, does not shatter in the air.

http://kentgamebore.com/products/bis...hotshells.html

Maybe not #5 for geese but should work well for ducks.
    nah, I think I'll just stick to the 12's for geese, do love that 16 though, had a single shot 16 when I was a kid and shot lots of jackrabbits and fox with it, everything with canuck #4's
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bdog View Post
    They are work horses, not the prettiest gun out there but they work, I have an older model 311 in .410, great rabbit gun, has never given me any trouble
    What he said.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

"Maybe not #5 for geese but should work well for ducks."

#5 bismuth works well on geese...and ducks....out of a sixteen. proved it many times, and on whistlers as well.

just say'n
    Last edited by zoli 16ga.; January 2nd, 2018 at 09:39 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Every upland hunter should own at least "one" 16ga.
    I 'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast