Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Porcupine?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Eating Porcupine?

I was out hunting rabbits today and came across a porcupine sleeping in a log. Decided not to take it because I wasn't so sure I wanted to eat it. Just wondered if anyone had experience with them? Getting a little curious about how it may have tasted.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

When I was younger, I shot everyone I saw. They are very tasty , not at all fat ,like you may think. There is a great deal of meat on a porky. Skin them out by placing it on it's back [no quills], skin it out of itself like rolling it out of a carpet. Make sure you put the skin high as possible , in a tree, to keep other dogs from getting into it. I always skinned them in the bush, for obvious reason. Enjoy.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We tried to skin one out once, there was a tape work a couple feet long that came crawling out of it, the whole thing ended up in the fire, I have not tried again.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice, when I come across one next time I will have to give it a try! Is the meat really dark?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Yes, similar to rabbit.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Do you have any favourite ways to cook it?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Slow cooker or braised.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

That ugliest thing I ever saw was a dead shot porcupine.( it had just been shot)As it lay their motionless it started to move. I mean the entire animal was moving.Thier was a mass exodus of worms in a huge ball coming came out of it's anus.It was a scene from a horror movie and still gives me nightmares.I would not touch one with a 100 ft pole.Other than that I Don't have any cause to ever kill one.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I seem to remember there was a time when it was illegal to kill a Porcupine in certain parts of the country. Had to do with the fact that they are a source of food for survival. They are a slow moving animal that can be killed with a whack across the nose with a stick and eaten raw.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Just starting out

User Info Menu

It sounds like they have a big time problem with worms, not sure if I'd want to try one out anymore! It's interesting that they had special protection like that, know of any areas where that is still the law?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast