Thread: Lake Nippissing Slot Size Question

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Lake Nippissing Slot Size Question

It's not very clear to me in the regs and I've seen differing opinions online. For FMZ 11, of which Nipissing is a part, the slot is none between 16.9" and 23.6" and only 1 over 23.6" and the Nipissing exception is a lower limit of 2 and none less than 18.1".
    The question is, is the Nipissing exception an addition to the FMZ 11 regs or instead of the zone 11 regs? If it's an addition it would mean you can't keep anything under 23.6" and only 1 over 23.6". IF the exception replaces the zone 11 regs then you can keep 2 of any size over 18.1". I haven't ice fished there for years. I was discussing the interpretation of the slot sizes with a co-worker who was up for the opener and I couldn't find a clear explanation with a Google search.
    Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

The exception for for the Lake is what you go by instead of the general zone rules.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Looks to me like 2 fish over 18.1 inches...for sport and 1 for conservation.
    Hardly worth the effort to drive up there any more!
    Last edited by rick_iles; January 5th, 2018 at 06:52 PM.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    We were up there 2 winters ago and caught lots if eyes but not one over the minimum to keep.
    Maybe there will be some bigger ones now.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Last year a group of 4 that I know went to Nipp. for 2 day over nighter and came home with 2 legal fish. Lots of fun, great huts, but a lack of keepers put a damper on the whole experience.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

So sad. An incredible fishery has been raped.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

The closest we got was about 17.5 inches, the rest all smaller.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The fishing is awesome and lots of fish to be eaten if that's what u want. My buddy and I took our sons up Jan 123 and we landed 80+ walleye and yes, only 1 was over the slot size to be a keeper there were enough pike ,whitefish, herring and jumbo perch that we had a good feed and brought some home. We stayed at Hyatt's and have another trip booked with Bear creek in 2 weeks.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Hardly worth the drive if fishing is only about stocking the freezer.

Nipissing is for people who like to "catch" a ton of fish and spend some good times having wobbly pops with the boys. Well worth the drive in my opinion.