Thread: Power Packs (For Ice Fishing ;)

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Power Packs (For Ice Fishing ;)

So this is kind of a long story but anyways I have the Volkswagen diesel Jetta which is going back because of diesel gate in one month. I'm having trouble starting it with the battery so I'm assuming it needs to be replaced it's a 2014 and when it goes below minus 25 it won't start I hate to buy a new battery for it because those cars are just going to be crushed anyways . so I thought I would pick up a power pack from crappy Tire and when it got cold just give it a boost and I could still use it after the car has been sent back battery vs Power Pack almost same price. Power pack has many features to 110 volt plugs USB 12 volt plug LED light alligator clamps for boosting and air compressor. 33 amp hours 800 cranking amps and a 400 watt inverter. So when I get it home it's obvious it's been opened and Canadian Tire is famous for putting s*** back on the Shelf I refuse to pay for this even though it was on sale just wondering if anybody out there has a suggestion for a power pack that's not from Canadian Tire I have a TV in my fish Hut that plugs into my camera plus an antenna for the hockey game also run my electronics charge my phone maybe even charge my electric auger I have my bike I can use to but the power pack is kind of nice to have not only for ice fishing but all year round any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I just do not want to spend my money at Canadian Tire

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You just lucked out and got a bad one from Canadian Tire. Nothing wrong with them. However I would suggest a bigger one then 400 amp.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Although I'm looking at getting this. But get at least 1000 amp

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/no...1908p.html#srp
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post

Those "smart boosters " work fine for boosting a battery, but you can't use it as a 12v power source ( in place of a battery). It will not give power to the alligator clips unless it knows it's connected to a battery.

I tried to start my lawn tractor without a battery in place and it would not work.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Any 12 volt thing will run off it. But your right it doesn't have plug inlet.

to boost with no battery you have to use the override.

NOCO Genius GB70 BoostHD, lithium-ion Jump Starter and Power Bank is ultra-safe and mistake-proof, making battery boosting easy for anyone from professional mechanics to those with little or no technical knowledge
    Ultra-Safe technology protects against sparks, reverse polarity, over-charging, over-current, open-circuits and over-heating
    Super powerful 2000 peak amp rating is suitable for gas engines up to 8 litres and diesel engines up to 6 litres
    Can provide up to 40 jump starts on a single charge and tested at extremes of -30°C
    Manual override feature allows you to boost a battery drained down to 0 volts
    Recharge personal electronics such as smartphones and tablets, anytime, anywhere via the built-in 2.1A USB output
    Power 12V devices such as air inflators and power inverters with the included 12V DC attachment
    Built-in ultra-bright 400 lumen 8 LED flashlight with 7 light modes, including SOS and emergency strobe
    High-density NOCO Element lithium-ion battery holds its charge for up to 1 year and handles over 1000 recharge cycles
    Compact and lightweight so it can easily store in your vehicle
    Fast recharges from empty to jump start ready in 15 minutes

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

...decided to keep it ...there was nothing wrong with it just a restocked return which I do not appreciate. It is 800 cranking amps and a 400 watt inverter for 110 volt. Needed it this morning to start my diesel engine and worked fine.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post

I have the 1000 NOCO. purchased it mostly for backup as I don't have a pull cord on the snowmobile. I have boosted the sled a couple times without issue as well as the neighbors car the other morning when it was minus 27. It is a great product.

claims it will boost up to a 6.0 ltr diesel. I have my doubts though. It will serve my purpose as a back up in case I get stranded with the sled somewhere.
    Things that fly turn me on