Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round Whitefish?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Round Whitefish?

How common are these things here in Ontario and do people catch them often?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Not common in Ontario & I never caught one.
    Don't even know if they are present here.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Their numbers certainly aren't as high as Lake whitefish, and may never have been, but they're mostly (completely?) river spawners and we've ruined much of their spawning habitat. Also, given the similarity there is a good chance that the ones that are caught are lumped in with lake whitefish most of the time.
    Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening.

Dorothy Sarnoff

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I caught whitefish in a lake near Kinmount. I think they were Round whitefish.We caught them before Christmas through the ice. They were all about the same size, none over about 16 inches.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Are these , round whitefish, toolibee ( spelling probably wrong). I used to see them in a fish market , I worked in. Think that is what they were called. old243

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by old243 View Post
    Are these , round whitefish, toolibee ( spelling probably wrong). I used to see them in a fish market , I worked in. Think that is what they were called. old243
    Tullibee is another name for cisco/lake herring.
    Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening.

Dorothy Sarnoff

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

They're more common in NW Ontario than in Southern Ontario (according to the ROM guide), that being said there's a fair population of them in around Algonquin Park. They are also found in the Great Lakes although I would imagine their numbers would be down due to habitat destruction. They have a preference for deep water so I would imagine they're rarely encountered by anglers (they're probably just as catchable as Lake Whitefish though).

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I've caught them in the Saugeen and they do run most falls. I think they're in most Great Lakes tribs at some point in the fall/winter. My sons and I had a great time with them one July off a pier going into Lake Superior in Sault Ste. Marie.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

If you go to the Fish-on website and type in Round Whitefish in the search area, it will mark out all lakes that the MNR claims to hold Round Whitefish
    ------------------------------------------
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

We would catch them in rivers on Manitoulin during the deer hunt. Also in Michigan off the Frankfurt pier where locals called them menominee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast