Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wannabe trapper

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Wannabe trapper

My husband and i just bought a house halfway between Cochrane and Kapuskasing. While I love hunting and fishing, I need to keep busy during the winter. Iíve read a few books lately about the trapping history in Canada.
    Iím considering taking the trapping course, then applying for a licence. I want to trap not to earn money to pay the bills, but more out of interest. Based on what Iíve read, breakeven might be my best hope, but Iím not motivated by money.
    Having said this, how hard is it to apply or register a trap line on Crown land? Where our cabin is located, we are surrounded by thousands of acres that according to the Crown atlas, is open to hunting and fishing...not sure about trapping.
    Iíve not seen one trapline for sale, so I figure Iíd have to start from scratch.

thanks
    I don't wear bows - I shoot them.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Nina

The first thing you do is take your trappers course, after that you find a local trapper that will take you on as a helper. That can be accomplished by reaching out and joining the local trap counsel. I think Fauquier has a counsel. Once you learn to trap and acquire some points you can then apply to the MNRF for a registered line. If you have any further questions send me a pm.

Cheers,

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Muskyhunter View Post
    Nina

The first thing you do is take your trappers course, after that you find a local trapper that will take you on as a helper. That can be accomplished by reaching out and joining the local trap counsel. I think Fauquier has a counsel. Once you learn to trap and acquire some points you can then apply to the MNRF for a registered line. If you have any further questions send me a pm.

Cheers,
    perfect!
    thank you...and i’ll keep you in mind.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

How much land did you get? You can take the course and trap on private land with permission once you have the proper licenses, at least that is what our local trapper told me. Getting in on a registered trap line may be tough and it also may be taxing on you, there are minimums that you need to meet to keep a trap line like that and the easily accessible ones probably will not come up.

What is the nearest town to you? I have family up that way.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Becoming an 02on a line after you take the course would be the easiest way to go about it
    You got one shot at life where are your sights aimed today ?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    How much land did you get? You can take the course and trap on private land with permission once you have the proper licenses, at least that is what our local trapper told me. Getting in on a registered trap line may be tough and it also may be taxing on you, there are minimums that you need to meet to keep a trap line like that and the easily accessible ones probably will not come up.

What is the nearest town to you? I have family up that way.
    The nearest town is Smooth Rock Falls...we’re about 30 minutes northwest.
    We’re on a small 3 acre lot, but crown land is 500m away.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

All crown land in northern Ontario is divided into registered traplines , contact Ontario Fur managers fťdťration about a local course instructor and get your course done , it’s 40 hours of hands on and book instruction , then seek out your local trappers council to ask about who may be interested in taking on a o2 trapper on their line , I’m told there may be a few in the smooth rock area looking for helpers
    You got one shot at life where are your sights aimed today ?

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Given the price of furs in the last few years it wouldn't surprise me to see some registered lines coming up for grabs--especially those in the northern parts of the province where gas prices tend to hurt the bottom line.
    I'd contact the CO in the Smooth Rock Falls area for first hand info on your question.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thank you!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My son took the course in 2015. The closest line or trapper to apprentice under was over 200 miles away. He has been on the list for something closer but nothing in 2 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast