Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Does searching for a wounded animal constitute as hunting.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post

This is a silly thread...
    Agreed, which is what I was trying to point out by saying how can they prove your not just out for a walk. But then it was implied I'm a poacher so I guess that farmer is as well. At least I'll have company in jail.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Police do not charge everyone going 1km over the speed limit, despite the letter of the law saying they can.

Practicality and realism need to be applied to this just as it is applied to that.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dythbringer View Post
    I asked a CO about following a blood trail after legal light and I was told recovery falls under the exception to the hunting definition because your purpose isn't to kill, injure, capture or harass it. He also said that other evidence would have to be considered (i.e. whether you had your firearm/bow encased to support your claim).
    If that’s the case then why can’t a hunter use a thermal device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FishHog View Post
    Agreed, which is what I was trying to point out by saying how can they prove your not just out for a walk. But then it was implied I'm a poacher so I guess that farmer is as well. At least I'll have company in jail.
    No one implied you where a poacher.
    The point was if you believe your actions are just than tell the truth. If you feel your actions are illegal than I can see why one would lye. As you said how could they prove you're not out for a walk. Great poke the bear have them question you further to either prove or disprove their suspicions. Are you going to keep on walking and leave the area? what if the Co picks up the trail and finds the downed animal?
    Sometimes we are are worst enemies.
    Trying to outplay the man.
    Truly is a silly thread
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goosesniper View Post

There are a number of things quoted in the OFAH magazine by that particular official that contradicts their own rules, take it all with a grain of salt, call your local CO if you have any concerns, I have done this on a number of occasions for things I have seen as well as questions with regards to hunting and fishing regulations in their zone. I received an answer, a name and a phone number to call if there are any concerns.

One example, so I do not have to come back on here.

If you are fishing for trout in a private pond, how do you prove they were not taken from the wild with a larger quota? This private pond is perfectly legal with no regulations on quota but yet when you gut them and toss them in a cooler how is a CO to know? I called the CO and discussed it with him, I spoke to where I would be and what was going on, he said to call him if I ran into any issues, no problem at all, all legal and I did not listen to a single person on an internet forum about it.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I did not listen to a single person on an internet forum about it.
    Thats good advice for all to follow not to mention all the threads asking for legal advice etc. everyone just ends up contraditcing each other and throwing out their interpretations of the law when a simple call to the MNR would be more efficient.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    If you are fishing for trout in a private pond, how do you prove they were not taken from the wild with a larger quota? ed it with him,
    I asked a similar question regarding fishing in US waters then coming back into Canada. Some catch limits are different. The CO told me that the onus is on them to prove your guilty, not on you to prove your innocent". That being said, I'm sure they will try to trick you into admitting something if they think you are guilty.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Because I am not talking about tracking a live animal. I am talking about recovering a dead animal. If you hit an animal and give it an appropriate amount of time to expire, logically the animal should be dead. Now if, for whatever reason, you follow the blood trail and find that the animal is still alive (find you pushed it from it's bed for example), by the law, you have to turn around and leave because now you are tracking a live animal which falls under the definition of hunting and you are doing it after legal light (whether you have an encased or uncased firearm/bow).

Member for Life

User Info Menu

There is a cavernous difference between recovering a dead animal in the dark and pursuing a wounded animal in the dark. It is a recovery until you learn otherwise and as Dyth said then you must turn around.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

“Tracking a live animal you have wounded constitutes hunting.” End of sentence.
    It’s not the entire quote, but it’s a sentence within the paragraph which makes it true. No disputes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    .. my comment was redundant....
    Last edited by walkinandsittin; March 8th, 2018 at 02:58 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345