Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distracted driving on the waterways

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Distracted driving on the waterways

Not the video coverage they wanted when they headed out...but it will sure make the lawsuit easy, even if the guy says " a lawsuit seemed unnecessary because the people in the Weldcraft weren’t hurt badly.

A salmon fisherman who abandoned ship by leaping into the frigid waters of the Columbia River last summer -- an instant before another motorboat crashed into his -- has filed a $372,500 lawsuit against the other driver.

Clatsop County sheriff’s deputies accused boat driver Marlin Lee Larsen of several crimes after the 75-year-old told investigators he couldn’t see where he was driving because he was sitting down and the dash of his boat was blocking his view. Larsen said he probably should have been standing, according to the sheriff’s report, which notes Larsen uses a motorized scooter to get around on land. Larsen’s son-in-law, who also was on the boat, told investigators that he had warned his father-in-law to pay attention, that he sometimes sees his father-in-law using his cell phone while driving the boat and that his father-in-law had been off-and-on his cell phone the morning of the crash, according to the sheriff’s report. Although Oregon law heavily restricts cell phone use while driving, there are no such specific laws governing boating. But it is against the law to operate a boat without due care.
    Larsen, a Roseburg resident, told The Oregonian/OregonLive by phone Friday that he wasn’t using his cellphone while driving his Bayliner and referred to such allegations as “fake news.” Larsen also said a lawsuit seemed unnecessary because the people in the Weldcraft weren’t hurt badly. The criminal case is ongoing. Larsen has pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor crimes of reckless operation of a boat, fourth-degree assault and recklessly endangering the lives of others.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Thats funny the son in law threw him under the bus haha sounds like the guy deserves to have the book thrown at him anyways. The video is pretty chilling, good to see those people jumped when they did that old man belongs in jail.
    Last edited by Deer Wrastler; January 18th, 2018 at 06:41 AM.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Isn't that scary. See the prop marks along the inside on the port side. Amazing no one was killed. again throw the book

Member for Life

User Info Menu

On a very large waterway,how does someone manage to hit another boat by accident? What are the odds of being in the wrong place at the wrong time in the presence of a complete idiot?
    Those who beat their swords into poughshares will plough for those who don't.--Benjamin Franklin

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    What are the odds of being in the wrong place at the wrong time in the presence of a complete idiot?
    Well in this case.. 100% ...LOL...
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Member for Life

User Info Menu

What a possible disaster. I can't swim so I would have been in big trouble.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    That's what life jackets are for.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    That is exactly the reason to wear your PFD each and every time you're out on the water. Ability to swim or not, everyone should have it on!
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Exactly gentlemen . Why didn't I think of that?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Who hits another persons boat and forces the occupants into freezing water and instead of apologising uses some dumbass buzz word like "fake news". Toss this old turd the book and make an example of him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast