Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Distracted driving on the waterways

  1. #11
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Yep - you got to watch those old guys - we can't hear so good anymore - or see as good - can't react as fast as we use to - and don't worry about things so much - so watch out - give us a lot of room - at a time like that it is good to have your motor idling so you can get the hell out of the way when you see something like that coming at you

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #12
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoePa View Post
    at a time like that it is good to have your motor idling so you can get the hell out of the way when you see something like that coming at you
    That's true, those youngsters didn't make much of an effort to get out of the way...
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  4. #13
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoePa View Post
    Yep - you got to watch those old guys - we can't hear so good anymore - or see as good - can't react as fast as we use to - and don't worry about things so much - so watch out - give us a lot of room - at a time like that it is good to have your motor idling so you can get the hell out of the way when you see something like that coming at you
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    That's true, those youngsters didn't make much of an effort to get out of the way...
    There is a plethora of rules contained within the Collision Regulations that each party has appeared to ignore. When it comes to marine incidents, the average lay person not familiar with the rules of conduct on the water, would be amazed at the outcome of court decisions. In this case that the video shows, most everyone thinks the old guy is in the wrong? Yes he no doubt is at fault... partly? But, the fishing boat doesn't appear to have identified itself as "fishing" and "restricted in the ability to maneuver" ? If it comes to it, the lawyers with have a field day with this! It definitely wont be a slam dunk win for the guys who went swimming!
    Last edited by Bushmoose; January 20th, 2018 at 06:51 PM.
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

  5. #14
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Looking back over the years that I was fishing and boating there were several incidents that could have gone really bad - one of these times was when I was fishing a lake north of Kingston that was full of stumps - I would generally go really slow when going through the stump area - this one time I was going too fast and rode up on a stump - it wasn't just a single stump but it was shaped like a Y with the boat hung up between the Y - the back end of the boat was barely out of the water - another inch or so water would come flowing over the back of the boat - I tried using a long aluminum pole that I always carry in the boat but couldn' t budge the boat - I had to stay in the front of the boat for fear of lowering the back anymore - we put our life preservers on just in case the boat was going down - on top of all this it was getting dark

    I reached over the console and put the motor in reverse and gunned the motor and the same time we rocked the boat a little - it took over a half hour before we were able to get off that stump - it was totally dark by then - I still fish the same area but I'll tell you something - I go really slow through the stump field - when I think back it would have only taken an inch more and the boat would have filled with water - we would have had to hang on the boat all night because it was too far from shore and the whole area was full of weeds and lily pads

  6. #15
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    There is a plethora of rules contained within the Collision Regulations that each party has appeared to ignore. When it comes to marine incidents, the average lay person not familiar with the rules of conduct on the water, would be amazed at the outcome of court decisions. In this case that the video shows, most everyone thinks the old guy is in the wrong? Yes he no doubt is at fault... partly? But, the fishing boat doesn't appear to have identified itself as "fishing" and "restricted in the ability to maneuver" ? If it comes to it, the lawyers with have a field day with this! It definitely wont be a slam dunk win for the guys who went swimming!
    I agree but for a different reason. "Fishing" refers to the netting aspect of fishing, such as trawling, seining, and gillnetting. That being said it can be argued that the charter boat wasn't likely maintaining a good watch (the video only shows a couple seconds before the collision but I would imagine the boat was visible for at least a minute or two to the small boat). The Collision Regulations doesn't assign "right of way" and although the large boat has to give way to/maneuver around the smaller boat as to not vastly affect it (since the small boat is ahead and the large boat would be overtaking), the small boat has to maintain watch of the larger boat and alter course to avoid a collision if the large boat isn't doing so. These are Canadian regulations though, this incident happened in the US and things may be different there.

    (I'm not defending the pilot/captain of the other boat as that was a boneheaded move not standing up while driving the boat to actually see where he was going and potentially texting while operating, he's lucky he didn't kill someone on the charter)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •