Thread: Redoing an old canoe

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Redoing an old canoe

So, I have an old canoe. It is still very lake/river worthy, doesn't leak at all. The outer shell is very dull (doesn't matter) but it does have a number of cracks. I was thinking of applying epoxy to the entire exterior of the canoe come spring time. Any experience or thoughts on this?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

What is it made of? Do these cracks leak?
    Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening.

Dorothy Sarnoff

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Fibreglass and no, doesn't leak at all.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

I've done a few canvas and fiberglass canoes over time. Most of those cracks you see are just in the paint and they don't travel through to the fiberglass sheeting. So, sand the canoe right down, spread a little resin and hardener on any serious cracks, let dry then sand smooth.
    I wouldn't coat the entire canoe with epoxy or resin as you're just adding weight. But that's no real problem unless you do some portaging.
    If possible use a spray gun to paint the canoe as it produces a much smoother and shinier finish.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

If the exterior is just white and chalky looking you may be able to just buff that off using a product like McGuire's Gell Coat cleaner. You apply it like a car wax and just your own muscle power or an electric buffer to bring the colour back. Like sawbill said above the cracks are probably just in the paint and you won't see them once the hull is cleaned up.
    Rick in Muskoka