Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Late goose season question

Just starting out

User Info Menu

What needs to happen is the early and late goose season needs to be changed to be a cull or conservation season which is what it was designed for not an actual "hunting season". The feds already do this to get around no hunting being allow in national parks so they have "culls" to get rid of too many deer and for snow geese in the spring which is a "conservation season". This will then allow the maximum number of days under the North American Waterfowl Treaty to only include the hunting season not the "cull" or "conservation" season while still making sure the other waterfowl populations are not negatively affected. Thus allowing for Sunday hunting and a Feb/March season. A true win/win in my books.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snip View Post
    What needs to happen is the early and late goose season needs to be changed to be a cull or conservation season which is what it was designed for not an actual "hunting season". The feds already do this to get around no hunting being allow in national parks so they have "culls" to get rid of too many deer and for snow geese in the spring which is a "conservation season". This will then allow the maximum number of days under the North American Waterfowl Treaty to only include the hunting season not the "cull" or "conservation" season while still making sure the other waterfowl populations are not negatively affected. Thus allowing for Sunday hunting and a Feb/March season. A true win/win in my books.
    Now that makes sense.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The migratory bird regulations are bigger than Ontario or Canada, the US laws at minimum are also included. They limit the maximum number of hunting days allowed, local areas can have less but nobody can have more. Therefore when they open up Sunday hunting they have to drop the late season hunts, at least this is what was explained to me, why the complications around it.
    ^This^

I imagine for outfitters who rely on the late season for income, when Sunday gun hunting opens, it is a loss. I wonder if they make it up during the fall season? I wonder if this ends up being the case? Or is early goose better with the Sunday included. Without derailing the thread, If any outfitters wish to chime in? I know a few outfitters from areas that used to have Sunday gun hunting have moved down to the Dunnville area and secured some fields.

For myself (shift work) opening Sunday hunting does not really matter. I enjoy the late season.

W.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

When you introduce Sunday hunting its a loss on total waterfowl days available, we do have a late season and as a result we are covered up with outfitters and some are coming as far as 5-6 hours away. The outfitters like the sunday hunting in there home turf then just set up a remote camp here in SW Ontario for the week. I see the advantage of Sunday gun hunting in parts of the province that would not benefit from the late season but for us in southern Ontario it sucks. I continue to battle with the OFAH every time to pitch the idea to the local townships, we have won some and lost others.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Total number of days available to hunt waterfowl remains the same whether you have Sunday hunting or not...it's just a reallocation of days

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krakadawn View Post
    Total number of days available to hunt waterfowl remains the same whether you have Sunday hunting or not...it's just a reallocation of days
    Exactly, that is the way it's always been.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

its not a net loss of 2 days?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Wonder if they could go the nuisance route and just have the late season everywhere??First year my area guelph/eramosa Went Sunday. Absolutely sucks! Birds everywhere

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456