Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Late goose season question

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kk1 View Post
    I would have fought to keep it. Dont understand why they can't take those days off the end of the season. There's a million geese around with liberal limits and no possession. This was a great time to pile em up. This totally sucks! Anyone who fought to keep this season is not selfish.
    So what about the thousands of other hunters who would like to gun hunt in the fall for other species (including migratory birds)? How is it not selfish to tell them you don't want them to have the opportunity to gun hunt on Sunday because you want to pile up geese in Feb/Mar? Look at the math I did in my earlier post. In areas which don't allow Sunday gun hunting, goose hunters are losing 10 days (free days where you don't have to take work off if you don't want to) of goose hunting.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dythbringer View Post
    Opening hunting opportunities for all hunters is way more important than keeping a late season goose hunt.
    Really?
    thing is if you are hunting pheasants you are not hunting geese. So if one has limited hunting days during the week they would have to chose one or the or resulting in lost hunting days. By have the option of hunting geese in Feb one can chose to hunt pheasants in the fall and get bonus days hunting geese in Feb when much of everything else is closed. By opening sunday hunting you actually reduce hunting days available.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Really?
    thing is if you are hunting pheasants you are not hunting geese. So if one has limited hunting days during the week they would have to chose one or the or resulting in lost hunting days. By have the option of hunting geese in Feb one can chose to hunt pheasants in the fall and get bonus days hunting geese in Feb when much of everything else is closed. By opening sunday hunting you actually reduce hunting days available.
    That is rediculous ! What about all the days gained to hunt deer, turkeys, ducks, coyotes, squirrels, rabbits, pheasants crows etc. etc. ???
    Sunday hunting is one of the best things to happen!
    Thankfully, we successfully argued that point with council years ago !!

User Info Menu

Really?
    I never said anything of the sort about if you are hunting pheasants, you are not hunting geese, that is kinda of obvious. My point is Sunday gun hunting opens up more hunting days for hunters who hunt other species than geese while keeping the same number of days for geese hunters. Everyone wins; not just a select number. A pheasant (or any species) hunter has two days on the weekend to go hunting rather than one day.

A few posts ago, I actually compared the number of days geese hunters lose by not having Sunday gun hunting. The difference is 10 days. 10 days where Sunday gun hunting proponents are reducing every gun hunter's, whether the species is goose or not, opportunities.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    That is rediculous ! What about all the days gained to hunt deer, turkeys, ducks, coyotes, squirrels, rabbits, pheasants crows etc. etc. ???
    Sunday hunting is one of the best things to happen!
    Thankfully, we successfully argued that point with council years ago !!
    And that is my point. A late season for geese is a second place prize for no Sunday gun hunting.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dythbringer View Post
    I never said anything of the sort about if you are hunting pheasants, you are not hunting geese, that is kinda of obvious. My point is Sunday gun hunting opens up more hunting days for hunters who hunt other species than geese while keeping the same number of days for geese hunters. Everyone wins; not just a select number. A pheasant (or any species) hunter has two days on the weekend to go hunting rather than one day.

A few posts ago, I actually compared the number of days geese hunters lose by not having Sunday gun hunting. The difference is 10 days. 10 days where Sunday gun hunting proponents are reducing every gun hunter's, whether the species is goose or not, opportunities.
    As a hunter who's primary hunting day is sunday I have too choose either geese or upland. Having the option of hunting geese at a time when upland is closed gives me more hunting days.
    When there was no hunting sunday option than sure open that option up but now a days keeping some areas closed gives more variety. It shouldn't be an all or nothing thing.
    That's what sharing is all about right?
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thousands?? Not in my area. I see very few people hunting Sunday's if any. You can't compare Sunday's in the regular season to the late season for quality of hunts in no way shape or form. When you have a season for 15plus years to have it taken away it sucks. We are covered in geese late season. This is a nuisance season to reduce numbers for the species longevity. I know for a fact there are usually 500-600 geese shot during the late season in my area. Many of these are park birds which need their population controlled.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kk1 View Post
    Thousands?? Not in my area. I see very few people hunting Sunday's if any. You can't compare Sunday's in the regular season to the late season for quality of hunts in no way shape or form. When you have a season for 15plus years to have it taken away it sucks. We are covered in geese late season. This is a nuisance season to reduce numbers for the species longevity. I know for a fact there are usually 500-600 geese shot during the late season in my area. Many of these are park birds which need their population controlled.
    Considering Sunday gun hunting in your area was illegal, I would hope you wouldn't see anyone hunting on Sundays. I would suspect that things will change next year.

We are not talking about losing a late season for all species. We are talking about supporting the restriction of all hunters by keeping a late season for one species.

User Info Menu

As a hunter who's primary hunting day is sunday I have too choose either geese or upland. Having the option of hunting geese at a time when upland is closed gives me more hunting days.
    When there was no hunting sunday option than sure open that option up but now a days keeping some areas closed gives more variety. It shouldn't be an all or nothing thing.
    That's what sharing is all about right?
    Well if Sunday is your primary hunting day, one would figure that the late season for geese doesn't do you any good because you can't hunt geese on a Sunday during that time.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Seriously! Sunday gun hunting was open this past fall. So in theory the geese could suffer because of Sunday gun hunting. Due to overpopulation in our area. There will be that many more geese contaminating our parks and rivers. Have to see what happens I guess. There has to be a better solution. Then again we live in Ontario where there isn't a whole lot of common sense anyway.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast