Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helicopter Retrieves Sunken ATV

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Helicopter Retrieves Sunken ATV

I am thinking that there was a little bit of money spent on this recovery. A side by side went through the ice on the bay at Long Point and the owner had it plucked out using a helicopter. A video is at the end of the news article.

http://www.simcoereformer.ca/2018/02...ves-sunken-atv
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Wow. With all the reports of thin ice / open spots, multiple anglers and snow machines going through, people are still driving out. They must like perch more than me.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I bet the recovery was more costly than the price of the ATV but then you don't have a choice I'm sure!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have seen it done with two 15' aluminum boats, a winch and some lumber. What's a whirrly bird cost these days...$400, $500, $1000 an hour? Plus salvage diver and crew.
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The largest Privately owned Helicopter in NB was 1000 /hr a friend of mine rented it once to test a device he was building. The device broke under the helicopter and almot took it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    I have seen it done with two 15' aluminum boats, a winch and some lumber. What's a whirrly bird cost these days...$400, $500, $1000 an hour? Plus salvage diver and crew.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'm curious do some insurance cover this? I know mine doesn't but I was wondering if you can buy it or not.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Or maybe he just knows a pilot, that simple.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    I bet the recovery was more costly than the price of the ATV but then you don't have a choice I'm sure!
    I understand that it was a newer Can-Am side by side, so likely worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $20,000 to replace. His other options would have been to hope the bay froze up solid again so he could use a tripod to lift it out, or wait until spring and use a barge or boat. In any case, he was on the hook to remove it. The bay isn't that deep, in the range of 6-8' in most places. A photo showing it before it was lifted.

IMG_8354.jpg
    Last edited by delmer; February 3rd, 2018 at 02:16 PM.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I'm curious do some insurance cover this? I know mine doesn't but I was wondering if you can buy it or not.
    Yes some policies will cover it or at least recovery of thier choice.
    Doing research before buying your coverage is the key & deciding if the coverage is what you want.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Geez, what are people doing on that ice. Crazy....��
    No kidding. That ice doesn't even look safe to walk on. Idiot.

Cheers
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast