Thread: Exocet 165# and Nikon Bolt XR

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Exocet 165# and Nikon Bolt XR

Hello fellow members,

I have an original Exocet 165 which I bought new back in 1994. It still has the original Tasco Pronghorn scope they recommended with them - Top post worked for 20, crosshairs for 30 and bottom post for 40). I'd like to upgrade the scope at least and possibly the limbs to the magtips.

Does anyone know if the Nikon Bolt XR will work with an Exocet 165 for its trajectory points? My hunch is likely not, but would like to know. Are their other scopes I should consider?

Thanks for your input!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Just call Excalibre directly and they should be able to answer that for you or at the very least recommend one for you.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I once had the exact same bow as you have, and did the mag tip upgrade, along with a fast flight string. That brought the speed up to approximately 300fps using a 360 grain arrow. The Nikon scope is factory set for 305fps, so it should theoretically be almost bang on right out of the box. I know the scope can be adjusted for speeds up to 350fps, but don't know if it can be adjusted for less than 305fps.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Appreciate both of your responses. Thank-you!

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

first the bolt XR is an awesome scope. you won't be disappointed. i wouldn't get too caught up in the exactness of the drop. the yardages are what they are. even if it's not 'bang on' it'll still be close. My xbow (barnett) with the bolt XR is zeroed at 25 yds at the crosshairs. first drop is on at 35 yds. second drop is off by 3 yards to 48 and i don't even need to use the last one as i have a limit of 50yds. easy to remember 3 numbers. 25 35 48.
    A Hunt Based Only On Trophies Taken Falls Far Short Of What The Ultimate Goal Should Be - Fred Bear

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by delmer View Post
    I once had the exact same bow as you have, and did the mag tip upgrade, along with a fast flight string. That brought the speed up to approximately 300fps using a 360 grain arrow. The Nikon scope is factory set for 305fps, so it should theoretically be almost bang on right out of the box. I know the scope can be adjusted for speeds up to 350fps, but don't know if it can be adjusted for less than 305fps.
    I did the same thing with my Exocet 165, but with a Varizone scope. With the limb/string upgrade my fps went from 260 to 295 and trajectory was noticeably flatter. Its all the crossbow I need, as it shoots clean through deer and sticks arrows into the ground.
    What calm deer hunterís heart has not skipped a beat when the silence of a cold November morning afield is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?