Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Approaching land owner for permission

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Approaching land owner for permission

After 4 years of having an outdoors card and accumulating gear I'm determined to make this the year that I can actually find a place to hunt.

I've tried kijiji ads to no success therefore it seems like I will have to go door to door, so I ask what is the best way to ask a farmer for permission to hunt on his land?
    My current assumptions are to dress nicely, and to do it well in advance of hunting season. I imagine there's more to it and am seeking advice.

What time is best to knock to avoid disturbing them during a meal etc.?
    How do you open up the dialogue?

It seems like a huge gamble to drive for 2 hours and to just start knocking on doors and asking them for a service in exchange for money and or labour. I also feel like the fact that I'm young will put a lot of them off thinking I won't be responsible.

Those that have done it how did it work out for you?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Checkout the meat eater podcast titled "permissions". All of the above is discussed at length.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

OK so a few things.
    Dress nicely??? Not sure what you mean here, but don't show up in a suit and tie or a pair a khakis pants you'll look silly. Where a pair of jeans and appropriate shirt or jacket for the weather. Try and look like your capable of doing some labor work.

Time wise if going to a dairy farm I would suggest between 9 - 2 generally morning chores are done before 9 and afternoon chores will begin sometime around 3 maybe later.
    Farmers tend to eat the same time as most people as they also get hungry like anyone else.

Be open, about your objective maybe you can also offer something in trade like with so0m,e chores in the fall or spring, summer etc. Take notes does he burn wood if you see a smoke stack he probably does, maybe you can help cut and split some wood.

It is a gamble and you might knock on dozens maybe a hundred before you find someone the first try is always the hardest especially if your from outside the area.

I seem to live in a sweet spot myself and have only once ever had someone say no around my area.

2 hr's ??? Seems to me Lindsay and Peterbourgh area is only 2 hrs on there is crown out that way.

Don't expect to score the first time out. You could also mention that you have you hunter safety course.
    Don't speed down there farm roads like a mad man either, I have seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by slugz View Post
    After 4 years of having an outdoors card and accumulating gear I'm determined to make this the year that I can actually find a place to hunt.

I've tried kijiji ads to no success therefore it seems like I will have to go door to door, so I ask what is the best way to ask a farmer for permission to hunt on his land?
    My current assumptions are to dress nicely, and to do it well in advance of hunting season. I imagine there's more to it and am seeking advice.

It seems like a huge gamble to drive for 2 hours and to just start knocking on doors and asking them for a service in exchange for money and or labour. I also feel like the fact that I'm young will put a lot of them off thinking I won't be responsible.

"This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips so far!

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    OK so a few things.
    Dress nicely??? Not sure what you mean here, but don't show up in a suit and tie or a pair a khakis pants you'll look silly. Where a pair of jeans and appropriate shirt or jacket for the weather. Try and look like your capable of doing some labor work.
    That gave me a good laugh, was thinking more along the lines of not showing up kitted out in camo at their door. Looking prepared to do some work sounds like a great idea will certainly do my best in that regard.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Be yourself, offer to help with predator control (coyote issues) and any assistance you can offer with jobs around the farm. Be ready to hear the word no or that others are already hunting it. Many farms are already spoken for by family/friends or they already have hunters on the property.
    If you are a member of OFAH or CSSA or whichever organization, be open that you are covered by insurance offered by the orgs.
    One of the farms I hunt I originally started as bow only and that turned into getting full permissions to everything. I happened to work with the guy and he had issues with trespassers previously, so was eventually able to get permission to come out on a trial base. Another farm there were a couple of us that shared permission and we worked very well together in setting up our hunts so as not to cause issues. I now have sole permission as the other hunter moved elsewhere.
    The best by far is if you already know someone with a farm, or have a personal/family/work connection to someone to begin with. Finding someone that will let a total stranger come and hunt can be quite hard, so some type of connection is best by far. Hit the local timmies or find a mom/pop restaurant and go for lunch. if you see at least 3-4 trucks out front at lunch time, there will probably be a couple farmers in there, go grab a coffee/sandwich and start meeting people.
    Best of luck!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slugz View Post

Knocking on doors is the only way to meet people. Farmers lean towards members of OFAH because they're liability insured through membership. Permission forms can be downloaded and printed at www.ofah.org which spell it all out. Always offer help at busy times of the year,generally,with every dirty job on a farm,help is greatly appreciated. Be prepared to run into "pay-for-play" farms. Some farmers are looking into charging for hunting as a way to augment yearly income. Others hunt their own land and aren't open to hunters. Be friendly,amenable and courteous,especially,to those who are less than hospitable. Good luck.
    Sometimes,Karma sends an ex back into your life to see if you're still stupid.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Just be yourself and be honest. Knock on the door, introduce yourself......and be genuine.

Hi my name is Frank ....... and I am a ......... (doctor/teacher/chef-whatever) by day and an outdoors-person in my spare time. I live in (Peel/Ajax/Cambridge-where ever) and really enjoy the outdoors. I was wondering if there is any chance I might be able to do some hunting on your property. Turkey season is coming up this spring and I was wondering if it would be okay if I came out a couple times and try my luck.
    Not sure if you know about turkey hunting but it is usually just one shot, maybe two shots taken all season. It would be mostly on weekends usually first thing in the morning until about 9am or late afternoon 4-7pm if that works for you.....(wait for their answer then follow up)

Thank you and if there is anything I can do for you let me know, here is my contact info.............................................. ...................... or Thank you, can I leave you my contact information in case you change your mind?

Have a great day.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I personally wouldn't lead with offering to shoot coyotes if you're talking to a stranger. Many people will liken it to shooting dogs, so careful with that one if you don't know your audience.

$5 Timmies card with my name and number and email written on the little card it comes in. That's to thank them for taking the time to speak with me. That goes a long way and relieves the pressure to give you an immediate answer.

I typically only bow hunt, so I mention that from a safety/noise standpoint there will not be any guns discharged on their property, and if liability is a concern I'm insured through OFAH.

It can be really hard, but there's been lots of good advice here. Good luck!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yep, good advice so far . Be polite, honest, attentive and if they say no offer a thank you for your time and a handshake. I would advise against offering money as it could be seen as insulting plus it could start the president that all hunters should be paying to play and we don't want that.
    Offering to help with chores or sharing meat is great and be prepared to hear 10 to 20 No's before you get a yes, but once you get a yes it may be easier to get more in the immediate area. Once in,leave things as you find them, if the gate is closed, close it behind you, if open, leave it open. Don't show up with a bunch of buddies unless you ask first.
    Most land owners are good with you hunting with a pal but show up with a group and they will get nervous real quick. Bring your kid if you can as most country folk love to see kids spend time in the outdoors.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I have cards made, like business cards, with my personal info on them, plus names of organizations/clubs I belong to and the insurance I have while hunting, I introduce myself, let them know what my intentions are and leave them a card and ask them to think it over and call me...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast