Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Approaching land owner for permission

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I really feel sorry for all of you who have to do this.

But start with work and your friends... pump them hard for any tip...a guy who knows a guy... friend of a friend....
    Any inside connection, even a remote one, is more likely to get a positive response than cold calling at the farm gate.
    Last edited by johny; February 8th, 2018 at 10:15 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Also, find out if a species you want to hunt is considered a major pest by the local farmers.

I've only cold called once.
    That was in Saskatchewan many years ago to hunt geese.
    No problem.
    100% of farmers gave us permission because the geese were decimating their barley crops.

Same might apply to a soy bean farmer who has a "turkey problem".
    Last edited by johny; February 8th, 2018 at 10:16 PM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

It's a numbers game. Don't get too hung up on one property, even if it's loaded with birds, deer, whatever.

My conversations are usually quick and to the point. If I find common ground, it can turn into a 20 minute conversation (which is usually a good thing). You can usually tell within the first 30 seconds if a landowner is going to give you permission or not! If it's a no, keep on truckin'.

-Nick
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

All good suggestions but I'll tell you what would be the clincher - take a little kid or two with you - many years ago that is what I did - took two of my little boys with me and never got refused - one time the farmer said that doesn't allow hunters around but when his wife saw the kids she took him to allow me to hunt - if you don't have your own kids take some relative's kids with you -

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ride.lift.shoot View Post
    Checkout the meat eater podcast titled "permissions". All of the above is discussed at length.
    This is your answer.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePa View Post
    take a little kid or two with you - many years ago that is what I did - took two of my little boys with me and never got refused -
    You're absolutely right Joe..I know of a few guys this worked well for them..must be the image of the 'family' guy rather than some yahoo covered in camo
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Sometimes I do bring my kid with me it definitely can't hurt. But you know my young mature intelligent appearance is usually the clincher.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Downwind View Post
    This is your answer.
    Very good. Thank you for highlighting that.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Tons of advice here, thank you all so much. I'll try to get out as soon as it warms up and start knocking on some doors. Unfortunately I don't have any kids to help me out so I'll be banking on my ability to converse

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePa View Post
    All good suggestions but I'll tell you what would be the clincher - take a little kid or two with you - many years ago that is what I did - took two of my little boys with me and never got refused - one time the farmer said that doesn't allow hunters around but when his wife saw the kids she took him to allow me to hunt - if you don't have your own kids take some relative's kids with you -
    Isn't that the same tactic Jehovah's Witness use when they bang on your door? Might not be the smartest thing to do. People aren't stupid and see through it pretty quick.
    Those who beat their swords into poughshares will plough for those who don't.--Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast