Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Approaching land owner for permission

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Our farm is close to a couple of cities and I've had some real gems show up. Arriving on the first day of hunting season reeking of cigarette smoke isn't the best approach. Dress well, be polite, have an OFAH membership, offer to help with chores, learn to take no for an answer. Don't bring a kid, don't scare the horses, don't come around at dinner time.

Eventually I got tired of them showing up and put a "no hunting" sign on the gate. Problem solved.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Not for anything but whats the problem if the guy smells like smoke, would it be different if he smelled like manure LOL What does asking for permission have todo with the smell of the person unless he smells like booze or drugs. Im just curious
    Quote Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
    Our farm is close to a couple of cities and I've had some real gems show up. Arriving on the first day of hunting season reeking of cigarette smoke isn't the best approach. Dress well, be polite, have an OFAH membership, offer to help with chores, learn to take no for an answer. Don't bring a kid, don't scare the horses, don't come around at dinner time.

Eventually I got tired of them showing up and put a "no hunting" sign on the gate. Problem solved.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Isn't that the same tactic Jehovah's Witness use when they bang on your door? Might not be the smartest thing to do. People aren't stupid and see through it pretty quick.
    Same as a Calcutta beggars prop.
    It works as long as people don't realise it is a fake.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Are you expecting them to show up in a 3 piece suit?

I show up in jeans and shirt if it's warm out I might be wearing shorts and I do bring my 12 year old son who has been joining me on hunts since he was 6.

OFAH membership is helpful, but I never had one in the past.

If I showed up well dressed around here the farmer would either take it as an insult or laugh at me.

Oh and for the note the one property I never got access to for hunting is behind my house. The owners son hunts it. Otherwise I can pretty much hunt anyplace.
    Hmmmm, seems to me you just don't want people coming withing a mile of your property period and don't even want them asking. This thread was about how to go about asking permission.

On occasion you will meet people like Badenoch that just plain an simple do not want people on their property, which is fine it's their property. Thankfully 99% of the people I meet are nice.

"This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Over the years a lot of Jehovah witnesses have knocked on my door - none ever had a little kid with them - all adults because if you got into a discussion about their faith they didn't want any youngster or young adult to hear what you were saying - I think most people would see a young father with a nice family and tend to permit hunting on their land - especially if you and and kids are real polite -

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tom gobble View Post
    Not for anything but whats the problem if the guy smells like smoke, would it be different if he smelled like manure LOL What does asking for permission have todo with the smell of the person unless he smells like booze or drugs. Im just curious
    If he looks, acts and smells like a slob he's not welcome to hunt on my property.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Years ago asking for permission to hunt a property was considered a nice thing to do - because a lot of guys would hunt the place without asking permission and the farmers didn't like that - If I owned some farm land and I or some family member didn't hunt I would allow some hunters on the property as long as they were respectful and didn't do anything crazy - it is nice to be kind to other people - why not

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Wow you ruled out Dairy Farmers themselves I guess. Their not slobs but they will smell like manure when working in a barn

If he looks, acts and smells like a slob he's not welcome to hunt on my property.
    Last edited by greatwhite; February 10th, 2018 at 12:16 PM.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Exactly, when I was 17 in NB I once asked an Old Guy if I could hunt his property and he looked at me and smiled and said "Nobody ever asked me for permission" I got the permission and he posted yellow circles to try and keep the others off the property I had sole access.

These days on the rare occassion that I look for a new property I bring my son with me, especially since he is my hunting partner.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePa View Post
    Years ago asking for permission to hunt a property was considered a nice thing to do - because a lot of guys would hunt the place without asking permission and the farmers didn't like that - If I owned some farm land and I or some family member didn't hunt I would allow some hunters on the property as long as they were respectful and didn't do anything crazy - it is nice to be kind to other people - why not

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Wow you ruled out Dairy Farmers themselves I guess. Their not slobs but they will smell like manure when working in a barn
    A good friend of mine is a dairy farmer with a large herd, he does not smell like manure as when he leaves the barn, he showers and changes clothes , his barn clothes stay in his outer change room.
    He says that he does not want to stink when he goes to town or else where and says other people do hot appreciate it either.
    His vehicles, [ 3 trucks] do not stink either as they are kept clean, his tractors 5 of them are also clean , he wears crocs when he is in his tractors, not his dirty barn boots.
    Just because you have or work on a farm does not mean you have to smell like one, another good friend of mine , now passed on , had a large pig farm , you wouldn't know it as he also kept every thing clean including himself.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast