Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel Shot Problem

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Steel Shot Problem

Every year I get a bunch of goose sausages made by a local butcher. And every year I find a few steel pellets in the sausages. The steel pellets are a little hard on the teeth...lol. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding steel shot in goose breasts? I would really like to eliminate, or at least greatly reduce, the steel pellets in my sausages. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I use one of these...works great !!

This highly sensitive tool can detect nails, screws, staples and other metal objects (steel, magnesium, zinc, copper, aluminum, etc.) up to 1" deep (depth depends on the object's size) in wood, plaster, plastics, etc. I

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...25&cat=1,43513
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Put your sausage thru an MRI machine. All the steel will come right out.
    You can use the detector like mike says but how much work to dig them out before it is ground up. Seem the best way is to remove the steel pellets after the meat is ground up. They have powerful electro magnets to do this in industrial food plants.
    Grind the meat and place it in cold salted water inside a stainless steel bowl sitting on a strong electromagnet. The pellets should stick to the bottom of the bowl and you seperate them from the meat and remove them later.
    And yes it easy to build an electromagnet at home.. DC ones are the simplest.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I use one of these...works great !!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...25&cat=1,43513
    Great advice on a product Mike... I just made Duck Fajitas and even after carefully trimming and slicing the breasts... I found a pellet, thankfully no tooth loss or breakage this time. I will be picking one of these up for sure!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I got the 'Wizard' after a $200 dental bill from biting on a piece of shot in my very first Wild Turkey. Thank God it was me not the kids, it would have turned them off eating anything I shoot after that.
    Last edited by MikePal; February 16th, 2018 at 04:11 AM.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Get a magnet, a guy at work used to use a metal detector, did not catch one and broke his tooth at work in some sausage. He now uses earth magnets. I know this will not catch other non-tox though.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Remember when it was not a problem, with nice soft toxic lead...

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Cut the breasts into manageable chunks first for the grinder. Put a small amount on a plate and throw in the microwave for a few seconds, watch it closely, continue until done. You should see some sparks/flashes of light when there is steel.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mtaz View Post
    Cut the breasts into manageable chunks first for the grinder. Put a small amount on a plate and throw in the microwave for a few seconds, watch it closely, continue until done. You should see some sparks/flashes of light when there is steel.
    You will only see flashes or sparks if the pellet is not in the meat and is not round. The effect you are trying to describe is call a coronial discharge.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_discharge

Since the microwave oven is just a Radio transmitter at around 2.4GHz.
    Last edited by Snowwalker; February 21st, 2018 at 12:01 AM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Just cut the breast into smaller chunks and inspect any piece that has a pellet hole in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast