Thread: Diy ontario resident moose hunt

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Diy ontario resident moose hunt

Hey guys first time posting ive been starting to do the research to do a non guided archery hunt ive got a good group of 4 guys my questions to you guys are
    1) is there anything i should know about applying for archery in general is there any areas that are better then others for odds?
    2) how should i apply in groups of 2 or 4 or single guys?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tristan_neely View Post
    Hey guys first time posting ive been starting to do the research to do a non guided archery hunt ive got a good group of 4 guys my questions to you guys are
    1) is there anything i should know about applying for archery in general is there any areas that are better then others for odds?
    2) how should i apply in groups of 2 or 4 or single guys?

Best bet for you is to study the draw stats from previous years. You can find them in the Regulations. Check out which WMUs had better odds of getting an archery tag, and check the group sizes that were successful.
    If this will be your first time applying to the draw, you will be in Pool 2. Chances of getting a tag are not good.
    It has always been better to apply as a group, whether you meet the guaranteed group size or not.
    You will first have to decide where you want to hunt. Once you figure out your WMU, then get maps of the areas.
    Oh, BTW...welcome to the forum !!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

When you are checking previous draw stats to determine which WMUs have good odds of a tag - some WMUs have a near 100% rate where the MNR is trying to eliminate the moose - 21 around Geraldton is one of these areas. Avoid these area - not many moose left there.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Best bet for you is to study the draw stats from previous years. You can find them in the Regulations. Check out which WMUs had better odds of getting an archery tag, and check the group sizes that were successful.
    If this will be your first time applying to the draw, you will be in Pool 2. Chances of getting a tag are not good.
    It has always been better to apply as a group, whether you meet the guaranteed group size or not.
    You will first have to decide where you want to hunt. Once you figure out your WMU, then get maps of the areas.
    Oh, BTW...welcome to the forum !!
    Thanks man ive been reading tons on it but never posted

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    When you are checking previous draw stats to determine which WMUs have good odds of a tag - some WMUs have a near 100% rate where the MNR is trying to eliminate the moose - 21 around Geraldton is one of these areas. Avoid these area - not many moose left there.
    Thanks i have heard that!

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I did what you are doing 10 years ago. It's great, guide not necessary. We stay at a lodge now fairly affordable and brainstorming with lodge owner and other hunters helps. Not to be a debbie downer but bull tags for groups of 4 not likely. You should be guaranteed a cow tag in most areas. However cows are very challenging to get with a bow. Check the stats and allocations but not many tags left anywhere really. Not sure what the tag situation will be this year but bound to be worse than last year. My advice put in for a bull as a group of 4, next year you should all be pool A. If you have the option of using a 5th person as a dummy add a 5th. If they get the tag just transfer to one of the 4 going... Did I say that out loud? When you are unsuccessful in the draw for a bull try for an additional cow. this way you at least get a trip out of it and may get yourself a cow... We purchase bear tags, baiting bears catching fish and shooting wild chickens keeps us busy.. We did actually see one bull and one cow last year.. but 10 wolves too. wolves were everywhere
    Endeavour to Persevere

Just starting out

User Info Menu

me and my friend have been doing this for 6 years we have drew 3 bull tags, bought one from a outfitter and hunted Quebec a year we both didn't draw,
    I've received 2 bulls tags both gun in hard units to draw,
    he has drew one bow tag last year in a hard unit to draw
    Its very possible to draw as a individual, there is a certain amount of tags set a side for individuals.
    in my opinion there shouldn't be a group draw cause I know lots of people have there wife's, girlfriends, kids and so on that will never go in pool 1 helping them get tags

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tman View Post
    If you have the option of using a 5th person as a dummy add a 5th. If they get the tag just transfer to one of the 4 going... Did I say that out loud?
    Sounds like the guys that get their wives to apply for antlerless tags and hand them their tag to go to the camp, gotta screw the system somehow.

Here is a link to the details of the transfers, this procedure has become tighter due to the above practices.

http://www.ontla.on.ca/library/repos...006/302255.pdf