Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011

Thread: Is it time too start the woodcock watch thread?

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Survival is a given think they are more resilient than you give them credit for. Heck the doves just had a successful hatch so it couldn't be that bad for them.
    Doves nest in trees...... I was referring to survival of the adults due to the hard layer of ice on the ground.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntervinni View Post
    Doves nest in trees...... I was referring to survival of the adults due to the hard layer of ice on the ground.
    Yes but if a dove restricted to sitting on a nest can get their eggs to hatch in this weather I'm sure an adult woodcock can find enough shelter to carry them through this weather.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Yes but if a dove restricted to sitting on a nest can get their eggs to hatch in this weather I'm sure an adult woodcock can find enough shelter to carry them through this weather.
    Agreed. My pigeons have a very open loft that wind can blow through all year round. They have no problems hatching and raising young.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I wouldn’t be too worried about the woodcock, sure there under stress from the weather, but they have evolved and lived on these migration routes for hundreds of years. I’m sure it’s not the first time they have had to deal with this type of weather. They will be fine.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Doves, Pigeons.....all birds that can handle the cold. Pigeons don't migrate and some doves spend all winter up here, apples and oranges guys. Again I'm not saying that they will be wiped out because of this, but why add fuel to the fire? This storm hit when most birds were returning from their migration north and no doubt they were tired and hungry and then to have to go through that storm......I'm sure some perished but then again who the heck knows. They are a miraculous bird that we still have a lot to learn from.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011