Thread: CVA Optima load advice please

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default CVA Optima load advice please

I'm new to muzzleloaders and I acquired a used CVA Optima which I intend to use for deer. Previous owner recommended 250 gr. Powerbelts in front of 2 pellets of IMR. I've also got some 250 gr. and 300 gr. Hornady SSTs. Thoughts and suggestions please. Thanks!
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

With my CVA wolf I have been using a 300 SST Bullet and two 777 pellets... That gives me about 1.5 inch group at 100yds from the bench
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

People who use the pellets, do so for their convenience, no measuring etc...but in doing so they sacrifice some accuracy.

My buddy has a CVA Optima and found after a lot of trail and error, that he got the best accuracy from 85 gr of loose T7 powder. The more powder he used in the load the more the grouping spread out. That is pretty normal and what most guys find.

The fact is however, the difference between and 1" group and a 2" groups at 50 yds is really not an issue when your hunting as long as your shots hit the vitals.

So I guess it's what you want to achieve.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

My son has a CVA Optima and has had good results with the 250 grn Powerbelt and 2 white hot pellets. As stated above it is a matter of convenience but it seems to work for him. Cheers B525

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

3 of us use Blackhorn 209, 90 and 100gr..
    Experience is what you gain when you didn't get what you wanted.

Many are called but only a few are chosen.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I love Blackhorn 209. I highly recommend trying it.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. I believe I have settled on Hornady SST sabots for hunting and if I'm not satisfied with pelletized powder performance I will try some of the loose powder suggestions.

To keep target/recreational shooting more economical, I've picked up some CVA Buckslayer lead conical bullets. They were old store stock and I don't believe they're made anymore. Since my barrel's rate of twist (1:28) is considered too tight for round ball and since I'm not interested in casting my own conical bullets, are there any other economical target bullet options that anyone is aware of?
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I order all my ML bullets from PR bullets in Manitoba...they have great deals 2-3 times a year.

These are great for range practice...

https://www.prbullet.com/ee.htm

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I order all my ML bullets from PR bullets in Manitoba...they have great deals 2-3 times a year.

They are a great bullet for hunting too. That's all I've used for the last several years, without issue, based on the recommendation of Cecil Epp.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post

Iv been ordering bullets here also using the 250gr qt polymer along with blackhorn 209 powder seems to be a very accurate combination