Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Coyote hunting as conservation

  1. #11
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SongDog View Post
    I do but they are coon dogs not coyotes. But if he has any pups I will let you know.

    COYHUNTER might be able to help you, His buddy has B&T if I remember correctly

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Awesome, thanks. I may have found some I might pick up in Michigan. Coon dogs are fine, I'm going to run them on bear. Once I get them going ill try them on coyotes in the winter but only when there's snow. I've done some research and talked to the guy who has these pups and someone he sold dogs to does this with no problems switching them back and forth. Would be awesome if it worked.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #12
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Yup I heard people using bear dogs for coyotes in the winter.

    Don't over look Plotts or blue ticks as well, big strong dogs that are used for bear a lot. Bit on the slower side for coyotes but a lot of guys use them!

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

    -Ted Nugent

  4. #13
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Good video.

  5. #14
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brodieross View Post
    Awesome, thanks. I may have found some I might pick up in Michigan. Coon dogs are fine, I'm going to run them on bear. Once I get them going ill try them on coyotes in the winter but only when there's snow. I've done some research and talked to the guy who has these pups and someone he sold dogs to does this with no problems switching them back and forth. Would be awesome if it worked.
    Not many dogs of the hound variety have a dial on the side to only chase what YOU want that day.
    I'd sure hate to be in big bear woods and follow dogs for miles and miles without a tree on the end of it. Coyotes don't tree from what I'm told.
    Could be a long day .. or two ... or three ...

    coons and squirrels seem to be the combination for many houndsmen.
    Squirrels not out at night and they don't go too far.

    Ontario has lots of coyotes up north nowadays! hell the MNR is even protecting them!
    Last edited by SK33T3R; March 8th, 2018 at 02:53 PM.
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

  6. #15
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Nice video. Tell it like it is.
    My area there a couple of farmers that have put in 20+ claims with OMAFRA (I think) of livestock that have been on the receiving end of coyotes. Lots of nights I'd hear them yipping. 4 or 6 different distinct yips. I've been told by some from the township to approach these farmers and lend them some assistance. No problem I thought. Then I realized the acreage I'll be covering... Holy cow.
    Apparently, one had advertised on KIJIJI that he'd offer his property to a hunter if they would agree to go after the yotes. Some guy from Hamilton offered but asked $5000.00 to do it.
    Anyhow, never hunted coyotes on purpose so what calls work best? You did mention howls and rabbit sounds. I imagine distress calls would work best. Any other tips?
    There are three reasons to own a gun. To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals, and to keep the King of England out of your face.
    - Krusty the Clown

  7. #16
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Nice video...........have look at the beginning,,,,,when you are walking out to get your coyote,,,,,there is another one walking behind you?????
    It isn,t how you do it,its how you did it

  8. #17
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SK33T3R View Post
    Not many dogs of the hound variety have a dial on the side to only chase what YOU want that day.
    I'd sure hate to be in big bear woods and follow dogs for miles and miles without a tree on the end of it. Coyotes don't tree from what I'm told.
    Could be a long day .. or two ... or three ...

    coons and squirrels seem to be the combination for many houndsmen.
    Squirrels not out at night and they don't go too far.

    Ontario has lots of coyotes up north nowadays! hell the MNR is even protecting them!
    Not all bears will tree either. If I had them running both coyotes and bear and they got on a coyote when I was bear hunting..whatever, that's fine. Id rather have a dog I can virtually run all year instead of one that gets real used to a chain when the season is over. If it doesn't work out for me then I will change what I'm doing but I'm going to find out for myself instead of listening to what everyone else thinks about it.

  9. #18
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by COYHUNTER View Post
    Nice video...........have look at the beginning,,,,,when you are walking out to get your coyote,,,,,there is another one walking behind you?????
    Hey at what time in the video are you talking about?

  10. #19
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brodieross View Post
    Not all bears will tree either. If I had them running both coyotes and bear and they got on a coyote when I was bear hunting..whatever, that's fine. Id rather have a dog I can virtually run all year instead of one that gets real used to a chain when the season is over. If it doesn't work out for me then I will change what I'm doing but I'm going to find out for myself instead of listening to what everyone else thinks about it.
    I truly believe you'd be better off with a squirrel/coon/bear dog THEN a coyote/wolf/bear dog.

    At least a coon bumped on a bear hunt will result in a quick tree. A coyote will run right out of the country. And what if they find a wolf track. More problems trust me.

    I agree that specialized dogs do spend time in a kennel. Mine were specialized. I ran all spring , all summer, and all fall and whenever we had a slight thaw.
    But there was a trust between myself and the dogs. When they opened up I KNEW what they were running. (it took a lot of time and training to get to that point)

    I've been with others that would swear their dogs were on a coon - but 15 miles later - straight line before we caught them .... no coon!
    The problem with big bear country is there's more bush with less roads. I sure wouldn't want to follow- on foot - a coyote run through whatever the north country would throw at me, hills/swamps more hills/swamps, rivers lakes, following, hoping for a tree.

    There's a reason a good coon/bear dog is worth thousands! The same reason a coon/deer/coyote dog is worth
    a case of beer!

    No need to listen to us! We're just ol' peckerheads with too many guns. Good luck! Take some pictures of those dogs before you cut them loose. You'll need them for the LOST posters.
    Last edited by SK33T3R; April 11th, 2018 at 02:55 PM.
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

  11. #20
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I agree that specialized dogs do spend time in a kennel. Mine were specialized. I ran all spring , all summer, and all fall and whenever we had a slight thaw.
    But there was a trust between myself and the dogs. When they opened up I KNEW what they were running. (it took a lot of time and training to get to that point)
    [/QUOTE] No need to listen to us! We're just ol' peckerheads with too many guns. Good luck! Take some pictures of those dogs before you cut them loose. You'll need them for the LOST posters [/ QUOTE]

    There is a whole lotta truth in both of the above statements!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •