Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raccoon hunting with a dog

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default Raccoon hunting with a dog

ADVERTISEMENT
    Just wondering if anyone has experience with this. What exactly are the roles of the dog? How do you hunt with them? On leash off leash etc. Wouldn’t mind getting involved but haven’t a clue. Any kind of dog? Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

The hounds are run at night. Thu will follow a coon till Thy run him up a tree and stay at the tree till you can get there. Lots if fun in the dark

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Loads of fun with a good.dog that will tree them and stay there til you get there.

Went out with a friend and his dog last fall. The dog put up a lot of coons! But he'd loose interest in that coon if we didn't get there within a few minutes. The dog would start running another one and we spent all night trying to catch up to him lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Apprentice

User Info Menu

My dog will track and tree a coon at night time, or in the day he will stay at the base of the tree and bark. My dog will also dispatch any raccoons he can catch on the ground.
    If we are targeting raccoons at night time, I recommend the brightest flashlight you can buy, and a reflective collar for the dog, but a flashing light on their collar is best.
    I hunt with a Drahthaar, having a versatile dog is just easier than buying a different breed for every species I hunt.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=dutchhunter;1054223]The hounds are run at night. Thu will follow a coon till Thy run him up a tree and stay at the tree till you can get there. Lots if fun in the dark[/QUOTE]

Yup. lots of fun , stumbling all over , tripping over logs, roots, falling into creeks while you're trying to cross it on a wet log, cuts and scratches all over your face, but a lot of fun.
    But the best part is when the dog/dogs tree a coon in the farmers yard at 12:30 /1:00 in the morning and the irate farmer comes out.
    Last edited by jaycee; March 6th, 2018 at 04:04 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nothing says fun more than a couple of beagles, a corn field and a full moon...
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Nothing says fun more than a couple of beagles, a corn field and a full moon...
    damn, that would be cool. Had a beagle that would chase pheasants, but not raccoons!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=jaycee;1054227]
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchhunter View Post
    The hounds are run at night. Thu will follow a coon till Thy run him up a tree and stay at the tree till you can get there. Lots if fun in the dark[/QUOTE]

Yup. lots of fun , stumbling all over , tripping over logs, roots, falling into creeks while you're trying to cross it on a wet log, cuts and scratches all over your face, but a lot of fun.
    But the best part is when the dog/dogs tree a coon in the farmers yard at 12:30 /1:00 in the morning and the irate farmer comes out.
    Lol .You ether have it in ya.or you don't.lol

My uncle's all ran coon hounds back in the 70 and 80s.thy would travel all over Canada and the USA.. had some great dogs.remember the 100 dollar coons. Great memories and a heck of a way to grow up.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

A bait bucket, a few solar walkway/patio lights, Turkey blind comfortable chair, a tieout and bed for dog to lay on.

Setup bait and lights in a opening, fill bait with cheap walmart dog food($20 for 50lbs), refill over the week as needed. Lights turn on at night and raccoons get use to them. Head out before dark with rifle, turkey blind, chair, dog bed and tie-out. Setup behind your blind with the dog tied up. When it gets dark raccoons can still be seen because of lights. Any racoon that runs off after been shot, you track down and finish using dog.
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

User Info Menu

Buddy of mine had a blue tick hound many years ago and was amazing at treeing raccoon. Depending on the tree the dog could climb into it. It was a lot of fun watching the dog in action.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast