Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raccoon hunting with a dog

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

ADVERTISEMENT
    My Walker is hell on coons. Loves to tree them and wait for me to show up for the finishing shot. The coolest thing he does though is when he catches up to one on open ground. In those cases he will hold them by running around the coon nipping at it to prevent escape and effectively hold it in area about 10x10 until I show up to finish it. Amazing to watch as he nips and occasionally head butts or body checks the coon to knock it off its feet. That most incredible part is he does this without damaging the the coon's hide and almost never gets a scratch on himself. I love watching that dog work as he is as graceful as any animal I have ever seen.
    Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends.
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt emus
    Cave ab homine unius libri

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

My lab hated raccoons. She’sd Track them every night and took to killing them .by herself until I got a Healier.The two were unbelievers. Never a mark on them but brought around 20 / year. I cleaned and cooked them up for the dogs.lady must had be bitten by one she hated them.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Awesome. Thanks for the responses. Kinda thought thats how it was done. I like the idea of pre baiting them with dog food and sitting and waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice

User Info Menu

could do a simple feeder like this
    https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthre..._bait_stations
    just some 4 inch PVC and fittings

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbelly View Post
    These work great!!! I had one up for the deer and all I ever got was pictures of coons all over them. Not one deer though!
    "No one's interested in something you didn't do"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I always wanted to get some terriers and go around to barns in the spring and let them go in the loft. We have trapped 27 coons in the barn since Christmas.

I know some.guys that go to abondoned houses and barns and let the dogs go.

Stand outside where their escape route is and wait for them to appear

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    My Walker is hell on coons. Loves to tree them and wait for me to show up for the finishing shot. The coolest thing he does though is when he catches up to one on open ground. In those cases he will hold them by running around the coon nipping at it to prevent escape and effectively hold it in area about 10x10 until I show up to finish it. Amazing to watch as he nips and occasionally head butts or body checks the coon to knock it off its feet. That most incredible part is he does this without damaging the the coon's hide and almost never gets a scratch on himself. I love watching that dog work as he is as graceful as any animal I have ever seen.
    I love those coon hounds. That is a smart dog. My terrier attacks the coons which makes it vulnerable to wounds and disease.
    Last edited by Sharon; March 23rd, 2018 at 06:34 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbelly View Post
    Yup the idea is to make them work for the kibble and spend as much time as possible getting a meal. There is also the the fact that they leave a trail of powdered food every time they leave the feeder.

My only problem is that I am gone so much, I can't keep a feeder stocked and can't find anyone to do it.
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    I love those coon hounds. That is a smart dog. My terrier attacks the coon hound which makes it vulnerable to wounds and disease.
    If your terrier is attacking the coon hounds, maybe you should leave him at home. He seemed like a nice pup when I met him.
    Sic Gorgia Mus Allos Subjectatos Nunc.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=dutchhunter;1054245]
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post

Lol .You ether have it in ya.or you don't.lol

My uncle's all ran coon hounds back in the 70 and 80s.thy would travel all over Canada and the USA.. had some great dogs.remember the 100 dollar coons. Great memories and a heck of a way to grow up.
    geesh I probably ran against them all! One summer I went to 18 different events. PA NY OH and most of Ontario.

got $114 for one coon, my best ever! got 187 that fall averaged $37 each. those were the days!

was only making $6 and hour back then and clearing about $150 week.

Was getting paid to go hunting! One night I got 17 coon. Also got fleas and lice. but they wash off!

One friend of mine Marv Carlson, (Jarvis) walker male named Spike and female Betsey, took 423 coons!

He's long gone now but he was a dog man!
    Last edited by SK33T3R; March 8th, 2018 at 06:16 PM.
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast