Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raccoon hunting with a dog

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    I love those coon hounds
    One of my favourite novels growing up was Where the Red Ferns Grow. That kid and his 2 hounds inspired me for decades and made me cry every time I read that book.
    Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat your friends.
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt emus
    Cave ab homine unius libri

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    One of my favourite novels growing up was Where the Red Ferns Grow. That kid and his 2 hounds inspired me for decades and made me cry every time I read that book.
    I've got the DVD ... Dan and Ann 2 redbones.
    My hunting partner ran redbones. redbone skunk killers. tough on the nose some nights!
    I had the black ones!
    quite the rivalry every night we ran.
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Skeeter, I went to a few of the hunt competitions as well. likely hunted with Merv. I ran blueticks, English , lots of good memories. Had a few good dogs, if I do say so myself. Also the odd pot licker. Takes a lot of work, to get a dog trained, and keep them straight on coon. old243

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I remember seeing a lot more coon hunting with hounds but it’s seems to be fading here in Ontario. Seems to still be popular in the states, kinda sad it’s not more popular here.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    I remember seeing a lot more coon hunting with hounds but it’s seems to be fading here in Ontario. Seems to still be popular in the states, kinda sad it’s not more popular here.
    too many cars and too much permission needed in southern Ontario. We lost more then a few dogs to cars. Painful experience!

coons and dogs don't care about permissions / private property and cars will hit your dog as likely as hitting a coon.

toss in record low fur prices. lot of work to get a hide ready for sale only to give it away or have it sit in the auction house till it sells - if ever. and I ain't eatin coons! ... so if I shoot it and toss it I'm a criminal.

So you adapt and hunt something else. I still love hearin a hound run!
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by old243 View Post
    Skeeter, I went to a few of the hunt competitions as well. likely hunted with Merv. I ran blueticks, English , lots of good memories. Had a few good dogs, if I do say so myself. Also the odd pot licker. Takes a lot of work, to get a dog trained, and keep them straight on coon. old243
    HAH! Pot lickers!

Now-a-days we call them "Millennials"...................... Kids that never leave.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    If your terrier is attacking the coon hounds, maybe you should leave him at home. He seemed like a nice pup when I met him.
    Wrong words. What I meant to say was that "My terrier attacks raccoons which makes him susceptible to disease , bites etc..."

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    I never read any books I was given in school, I hated reading. But when I was given that book "Where the red fern grows", I read that book 3 times I think before I gave it back. Reading this post has made me want to read that book again.....and I still hate reading. Thanks for the reminder!!
    "No one's interested in something you didn't do"

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyObsessed View Post
    I never read any books I was given in school, I hated reading. But when I was given that book "Where the red fern grows", I read that book 3 times I think before I gave it back. Reading this post has made me want to read that book again.....and I still hate reading. Thanks for the reminder!!
    Iíve read it to a few of my classes. A lot of the kids today just donít get it. Was also a favorite of mine as a child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I did a night hunt with a friend a few years ago. Enjoyed watching the dogs work very much. It's too bad the hides aren't worth more so the dog owners could make a little to feed their dogs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast