Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MEC not rushing to drop gun-linked company

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default MEC not rushing to drop gun-linked company

Interesting to see the ramifications social media has on some businesses.. MEC ( Mountain Equipment Co-op) is being pressure to drop the products lines carried by one of their suppliers , Vista.

(see link below for what Vista carries, you'll be surprised)
    https://vistaoutdoor.com/brands/#

I think MEC is handling properly, see what the 'members' want, because we all know that the snowflakes that are demanding the boycott are not the type that shop at MEC anyway.

But CEO David Labistour said MEC will be looking more carefully at potential risks involved with larger holding companies it deals with.

"We've always believed in having all the details and all the information before making a decision," Labistour said in an interview late Monday.

"These decisions are going to offend someone somewhere because what we know through our social media feed is that not everyone is of the same opinion, so we have to weigh this very carefully and make sure that we make a decision that's consistent with our membership and the values of the organizations."

His comments came after MEC said earlier Monday that its senior management would be meeting to discuss calls for it to stop selling Vista Outdoor Inc.-owned brands, including Camelbak and Bolle. Utah-based Vista also designs, develops and manufactures ammunition, long guns and related equipment, its website says.
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/mec-...back-1.3819220
    Last edited by MikePal; February 27th, 2018 at 05:35 AM.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The comments are critical on both sides.

The hunters who tend to buy great products have written in that they will be shopping at Cabelas or other shooter friendly establishments, MEC could really be shooting themselves in the foot by giving in, pun intended.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I believe it was Fed Ex I was reading about yesterday that isn't buckling as well, but they were wishy washy on it.
    Rick

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Smart companies will stay the course. Foaming-at-the-mouth anti-gun forces are simply using bullying tactics. WE all know the best way to handle bullies.
    I like my firearms like Liberals like voters-----undocumented.

Proud supporter of OFAH,CCFR,NRA,A.F.& A.M. and Shriners Children's Hospitals.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It's trendy. #metoo has emboldened the crackpots to try and change the world. I have said it before, if a Conservative doesn't like guns they don't own them. If a liberal doesn't like guns they want them banned.
    Iím suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Seems like the old saying "cutting of their nose to spite their face"....MEC will no longer carry/sale some of the best outdoor equipment on the market, only hurting their primary customer base.

David Labistour announced Thursday that MEC will stop selling several outdoor equipment brands owned by Vista Outdoor Inc., which is also a gun manufacturer.

MEC doesn’t sell guns, but has faced a petition calling on it to stop selling brands owned by Vista Outdoor because the U.S. company also develops and manufactures firearms similar to the type of weapon used in a recent mass shooting in Florida.

The retailer said its existing inventory of Bushnell, CamelBak, Camp Chef, Jimmy Styks and Bolle gear will remain on its shelves until it is sold, but it has suspended further orders of the brands owned by Vista Outdoor.
    Last edited by MikePal; March 1st, 2018 at 06:33 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

What a gutless corporation/company or whatever it is.... didn't shop there before, now I know I wont. Curious to see how their sales hold up.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

MEC is unlikely to suffer too badly from a boycott, as hunters don't buy a lot of yoga mats.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Vista Outdoors is a much larger company. Their customer base is humongous and in the grand scheme of retail sales,MEC is very small potatoes. This is much ado about nothing. Americans don't give a rat's a** about some piddly little Canadian company.
    I like my firearms like Liberals like voters-----undocumented.

Proud supporter of OFAH,CCFR,NRA,A.F.& A.M. and Shriners Children's Hospitals.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by welsh View Post
    MEC is unlikely to suffer too badly from a boycott, as hunters don't buy a lot of yoga mats.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Missed the point, again...

The only ones hurt in this decision by MEC, is their regular (non hunter) customers base. The lack of the Vista product lines on their shelves will mean massive losses in their revenue. By molly-coddling social media pressure, this knee jerk reaction will hurt their core business.....stupid decision by a CEO.

edit add: supports my point..

MEC's response, ending the sale of such non-lethal items as Bushnell binoculars and Jimmy Styks paddleboards, demonstrates the power of consumer boycott action. But it also reminds us about its capriciousness.

In a world full of wickedness, amid the companies we use regularly, MEC must be among the most benign.
    MEC Toronto

Relative to all the companies you deal with every day, how wicked is MEC? (Don Pittis/CBC)

"I don't think anyone thought that Mountain Equipment Co-Op was endorsing assault weapons," says Marvin Ryder, marketing professor at McMaster University's DeGroote School of Business.

Unlike its Quebec-based competitor, Sail, or the nationwide chain Canadian Tire, MEC doesn't sell guns.

And while MEC will stop selling Vista Outdoors goods, the products — including clothing, water bottles and Bell bike helmets — will continue to be easily available at other familiar Canadian outlets.
    become informed; http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/flor...-mec-1.4557194
    Last edited by MikePal; March 2nd, 2018 at 05:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast