Thread: Woodcock arrival

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Woodcock arrival

We have some woodcock down here near Windsor now, they just showed up these past few days. Have had none up until today, we flushed two today.
    We have no snow here at all now but some thin ice in areas, up towards London yesterday we got into plenty of snow, so maybe another week or so for you guys.

Have you seen any in your areas?
    If not yet, when would you expect to see them show up in good numbers?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Good to hear. Nothing here yet though really don't expect them until Easter. Although Easter floats around the calendar always seems their arrival coincides with it. Really expect any time now. Plenty of Grackles around a few robins too.
    Think with the first warm rain of spring will see them.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

No woodcock seen yet -of course I can only sit on the porch with this new knee. LOL
    Tundra swans have arrived at Hullett.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Spotted one on the muddy banks of a small stream that passes through my property today. First time I've seen one on my lot.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They have been on our property for a few weeks now

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MuskokaJoe View Post
    Spotted one on the muddy banks of a small stream that passes through my property today. First time I've seen one on my lot.
    Probably been more around however without a good dog often hard to spot. Has there been beaver activity a few years ago that opened up the area?
    Birds have a preference to new growth areas of poplar with a moist forest floor.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Probably been more around however without a good dog often hard to spot. Has there been beaver activity a few years ago that opened up the area?
    Birds have a preference to new growth areas of poplar with a moist forest floor.
    No beaver activity but lots of new poplar growth near the banks. The Forrest floor is certainly moist and typically stays that way for most of the summer. I have to cut down a few large ash trees and hopefully get some more new growth going.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I have to cut down a few large ash trees and hopefully get some more new growth going.
    Good for you making for doing habitat work on your property, you should also see more grouse with the young trees that will grow.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MuskokaJoe View Post
    No beaver activity but lots of new poplar growth near the banks. The Forrest floor is certainly moist and typically stays that way for most of the summer. I have to cut down a few large ash trees and hopefully get some more new growth going.
    I'm no lumber jack but if you need a hand let me know

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks Fins, got a few friends helping out this week already but appreciate it for sure.

And thanks Fishhawk For anyone who might be interested, I found this podcast to be a neat source of info and kinda steered me to get cutting the old growth down. Lots of great episodes...

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...=1000413454911

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-orvis-hunting-and-shooting-podcast/id349344193?mt=2&i=100039397649
    Last edited by MuskokaJoe; June 13th, 2018 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Added links